Monday, May 14

What's your lucky number?

You know, the number you always pick when someone tells you to "pick a number between X and X"

And here's the kicker... WHY is that your lucky number?

Mine is 6. Yeah, haha, Nikki Sixx (anybody old enough to get that reference... LOVE YA!)
It's not because of him.
It's because when I was a kid, living in the shadow of Steven, I was grasping at any victory I could get.
And one time, I needed a 6 to beat him. I prayed for a 6. I was willing to do anything for a 6.

And I got it.
And I won.
I beat him.
Just that once.
With the number 6.

Let me explain. Steven and I were playing a board game. Life, remember that one? You travel around in a little plastic car, get a spouse, a career, kids, and at the end, you get to retire. They make the end out to be a mansion or a dump. It all depends on how your spin comes out... At the end of it, you have to land with an exact number, otherwise you have to spin that silly wheel again and again until you land exactly at the end. I needed a 6. Steven was ahead of me (of course) and only needed a 2. Of course, the law of averages tells us that I had a better shot at moving ahead in any manner than he did. It was his turn... big spin and landed on 4. I was almost giddy. I still had a shot!
Inside my head I was begging for a 6. I desperately wanted to beat him at just one thing, anything really!

spin... and 6.
For a 10 year old kid, that was the best thing that had happened in my short life.

So that is why 6 is my lucky number... anybody else want to volunteer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I had to ask Bat about Nikki Sixx, obvoiusly he remembered being a 70s child. I loved the game of life but it was heck finding someone who wanted to spend the time to play with me, Monopoly was the same way.

Scott from Oregon said...

I've had extraordinary luck hitting double twenties in darts...

So 40?