Tuesday, May 15

10 run rule and how much I love half.com


Thank god for the 10 run rule, otherwise we'd still be out there getting our butts handed to us!

We play 2 games per night, against the same team. I was the starting pitcher. Actually, we started the game batting, and I was the lead off batter, too. And ya know what? I got me one a them there hits! Yeah, did. And since I am a lefty, of course, everyone in the outfield headed over to the right field. Boy, oh boy did I screw them up! Drilled it high over the short stop's head and too short for the outfielder to catch. Eventually, with the help of Kelsi and Jacqui and Sara, I scored, too!

In the field, I was not so fortunate. I don't know how many hits the other team had, but I tell ya what, they scored at least twice as many runs as they had hits. Why? Oh, yeah, I walked in quite a few runs for that team. But I tell ya what, our team... we EARNED our runs on HITS...(I know I'm grasping at straws, but I need SOMETHING to make us sound good)

So the first game was called on the "10 run rule" in the 5th inning (we only play 7 innings) Rule is that if the other team is beating us by more than 10 runs in the 5th inning, the game is called...over...done. But the score was 20-9. So if I were a better pitcher, we may have had a shot. Oh well, after seeing the second game as it unfolded, I felt better. And by the way I DID strike out 3 or 4 batters. They were those girls who swing at anything, but HEY, a strikeout is a strikeout, and I'll take 'em!

So for the second game, we decided to let Sarah try pitching. Yeah, by the 3rd inning, Gary was asking me to come back in. They even let Angie come in from center field to see if she could do any better. Nope, she couldn't. She pitched to maybe 3 batters, walked them all.

So, I guess you could say that of the 3 pitchers, I suck the least! WOOOHOOO! So I came in to pitch in the 4th inning. I walked 2 and then a girl hit a little bouncer to Charity (short stop) and we got her out. Then, I struck out the side. It was still not enough, and we lost by the 10 run rule there, too.

The majority of the team went to Boonies, the bar who sponsors us, to either celebrate or comiserate... but I had to go home, Eric had Social Studies homework that he needed help on. We got home around 9, which is the kids' bedtime, and he and I worked on it until 10, and he is still not done. He asked me to get him up early to finish it up. He is such a good responsible boy.

Now, as I lay in bed typing, it's almost 11, I'm watching Dave, and I can feel my body rebelling. It's getting... tight. Stiff. Painful. Sore. I think I better plan on mowing the lawn tomorrow, try to loosen up my muscles.

I went up to the school today to pick up my books for summer session. They cost me $74. I brought them home and found them all at HALF.COM and bought them all for $31 (and that includes shipping, which was more than the cost of the books! The books themselves only came to $13!!) So I will keep the bookstore books until I have received all the ones I ordered. I have until the 10th day of the semester to return these overpriced books to the bookstore for full refund. I may have to start the classes with the spendy books, but I should be able to return them before day 10.

Well, I guess that's it for today. Pain in the pocketbook and pain in the ass... and the shoulder and the legs and the arms...But I'm having something to show for it... lower numbers on the scale... so it's worth it!

3 comments:

cantellya said...

Although I suck at it, I LOVE playing ball. Sounds like you had a great time :)

Steff said...

I hated buying textbooks! I'm glad you were lucky enough to find them all for half price...though I never walked out of the bookstore with a bill less than $200. :)

What classes are on the agenda for summer?

Nikky said...

Just two classes, and they start on Monday!
Ethics and College Writing II

I'm really looking forward to both of them!