Sunday, May 27

Good Morning with Mom, bad evening with the stepmonster


I had a pretty busy day, thus the need for two posts today. I posted this morning right away after my dogshit good idea, and then my day really took off!

Mom and I went out to Menard's to do a price check on the materials list for the DVD wall unit we are building. We figured we would have to do all this cutting and drilling, a very intensive project. We found a bunch of stuff that's going to make our job so much easier. Funny thing is, I asked Mom how much she thought it would come to as we were driving out there. She said she had no idea, but then ballparked it at $150- $200. Great thing is, I could afford that, I got my Senate Stipend check on Friday. So we got all the wood, all the screws and shelf supports, everything we need. Total: $184. I decided to pick it up now, and Mom and I can probably get it done before next weekend.

Then I can start freaking out about the desk unit we want to build.

My Dad called around noon, with the weather being so nice, he invited the kids and I out for an afternoon of fishing, and then supper. He said if we don't catch enough fish for supper, we can roast hot dogs and do a bonfire thing. Sounds good, I loaded up the cooler, the sunblock, and all 3 kids with hats on... we butt white folks burn easily!

So Dad and I and the kids went out on the boat. Not so much as a nibble. Not one bite, not one fish. The kids were bored quickly and got really annoyed with each other really quickly. Of course we were out in the middle of the lake, and couldn't really separate them. I was getting pretty cranky. So we decided to motor in and get the dogs on the flame. As we were finishing dinner, the kids mentioned something about s'mores (graham crackers, chocolate and roasted marshmallows mushed into a sandwich) and the wicked stepmother said 'yes, we can do that'. Alex said something about how we should wait until dark to roast marshmallows. This was at roughly 7:30 pm. Her response to his 'marshmallows in the dark' comment?

You're going to stay until 10???"

With such shock in her voice, and not like pleasant surprise... more like someone just offered her a shit sandwich.

We were gone by 8.

Ya know, I have tried being nice to her. I always try to be nice to her, to make a connection, gain some common ground and be friendly. She never reciprocates, and usually makes a point of being cold and distant with me, and Steven. She is usually decent to my kids, but there have also been times that she has been downright rude to them, too. I just wish I could say something to my Dad about it. There have been times that I think he sees her for the rude bitch she is, and makes these faces that are his way of saying "wow, Nik, I am really sorry," but he never actually says anything to her about stopping her behavior, and never voices his acknowledgement of her rudeness to me. I don't see or talk to my Dad as much as I'd like because I know it will mean dealing with her. I feel like this bitch is keeping me from having a better relationship with my Dad.

Ugh, I'm so tired of thinking of her, so tired of dealing with her and so tired of knowing her.
Other than her, I had a good day with my parents, although separately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh that was SO uncalled for. I'd have to reciprocate the action the next time she is at YOUR house. Maybe when she walks in the door say something classy like "and how long will you be dining with us this evening?" ha ha ha ha