Sunday, May 13

"Guard Widow"???

Wow, am I ever pissed off.
So this guy... this "friend" of my husband's... he was in the guards with JP for quite some time... no, he was not in Bosnia with JP, he managed to get out of going on THAT deployment... and no, he's not in Iraq, also managed to get out of THIS deployment... he and his wife have been one of the 'couple friends' we've known since we moved up here. I don't generally care for them, I always accepted invites from them for JP's sake... through this deployment, I've learned that JP doesn't really care for him either... He is one of those loud guys... I can't think of any other way to describe him, just too damn loud. Boisterous. Obnoxious. Yeah, guess I could think of other ways to describe him.

So they invited me and the kids, and another woman within our circle of guards friends and her kids (her husband is also over there, but hasn't been gone as long as mine) over to their place for a cook out for Mother's Day. It was a nice thing to do, Kelly and I were basically waited on and told "No, we don't need help cleaning up, you're the Mom, go sit and relax".

After dinner we went out to the back yard and played some horse shoes. It was all in fun, and it was a good thing because I suck at it, but so did the hosts, and you'd think they'd be better since they have the set up right there! But it was fun, and there were kids running everywhere (I had 2 of ours there, Kelly had 4 there, and the hosts have 3 of their own)

Sounds like everything was great, right? So why am I pissed?

While we were out back, Mr. Never-Deployed's cell phone rings, and in the conversation with whomever called, the question of "whatcha up to?" must have come up. His answer? "We're doing a cookout thing, got a couple of Guard Widows over for Mother's Day...."

How horrid is that to say? I realize what he meant, but to call us widows, as if our husbands are dead? Hurtful and in such poor taste. I think his wife saw the look of shock and hurt on my face because she quickly moved to scold and correct him.

Yeah, that's it, kids, let's go, it's getting late.
I really wish I would have refused the invite and spent the day with my Mom instead.

3 comments:

Jan Ross said...

That's stupid, rude and inconsiderate, especially considering he has managed to stay out of any of the fighting. If anyone had called my mother a "Marine Widow" when my dad was overseas, there would have been some blows.

Scott from Oregon said...

Hard to get really mad at a bufoon, isn't it? I mean, isn't it a little like getting mad at a retard?

What is it now, eight more weeks?

Nikky said...

I'm not sure how long it is, Scott, they haven't given us a 'return date' yet. I know it's somewhere around the end of July or the beginning of August.
That's good enough for now... ballpark 2 months.