Tuesday, March 20

"The Talk" and everything else


Emma told me on Monday that the 4th grade girls would be taken this week to watch a movie... just the girls, not the boys. Uh-Oh... think I know what this is about. She said (when I asked her what it was about) "I dunno, but I think it's gonna be icky, and I don't want to know"


Sorry, babe, you really have no choice.


So tonight, she and I sat down, as promised, and I gave her 'the talk' so she would be prepared and not so embarrassed/grossed out on Thursday when they show the movie.


Favorite part of the conversation (besides the ENDING of it) was this question:


"Ok, I get all that, gross... but, um, what's 'sex'??"


I got some grades back today, some good, some bad. That accounting test on stocks that we took home over spring break? Yeah, I suck ass at that, got a high C... shit.


Got back our midterm exams from Intro to Public Speaking... that was the one I didn't even know we were having until I walked into class. Yup, aced that sucker... only got 4 wrong, without studying A BIT! I'm so cool.


AND


AND


In speech class tonight we were to give our 4-5 minute long commemorative speeches. I wrote mine, as you will recall, last week in the waiting room of the oil change place. I never once read it out loud, didn't have any idea how long it would be. My outline was pretty rough, too, very short. I figured I would just wing it... less stress that way, right?


The teacher sits out among the students during our speeches, so she can see us for the critique sheets she fills out. I can see these sheets from where I sit. I was the last one to give a speech, and up until me, the highest grade given was a B...


I got an A.


She wrote crap about "being well written and well prepared" hehehe, if she only knew! I read through it for the first time as other people were giving their speeches. (Which, btw, sucked... I thought she was being rather generous with her B's)


When I got home, I didn't feel like cooking, so I called the Pizza dude. Then I ran to the store while leaving the children home to straighten up the house... No cooking, no cleaning...
Well, there ya go, that's my Tuesday in a nutshell. Now if you will excuse me, I have a buttload of Accounting homework to do. Must atone for my pitiful showing on the last test.

4 comments:

Steff said...

You know, I admire you. My parents didn't give me "the talk". Everything I know I learned from friends, media, and experience.

Maybe she'll hang on to that ewww feeling for a while longer. ;)

Scott from Oregon said...

Tell her that guys really WILL lie to her for some of that movie action.

Make sure you tell her that!

Anonymous said...

I love the pizza dude!!!

Glad you gave the sex talk, I never got one either. I remember sitting in history class in 7th grade and hearing one of the other girls talk about an orgasm. I asked "what is an orgasm? don't you mean organism?" The girl looked at me and said "Go home and ask your mom." I never did. But somehow I figured it out.

Good mom!!

Nikky said...

Dont worry Scott, I did tell her that, because my mom told ME that,along with the whole "make sure he's worth it" speech and it kept me in line for quite a few years longer than all my friends!

This was more than just the sex talk, this was the puberty/female issues/body changes talk... all rolled into one. We discussed everything from condoms to tampons. Poor girl, I hope she's not too overloaded with info. She didn't seem to have any problems blurting out questions though, so I think we will be fine.