Friday, March 23

I'm the old one, aren't I?


I came to an icky realization today.
All my friends, Gina, Charity, Karmeen and Jacqui... younger than me.
It does not make me feel old exactly, but I REALIZED it, I was made aware of it today.
They're all in their 20's. I will be 35 in September.
I rarely feel a generation gap with them, OK, occasionally, I think Karmeen's taste in music is a bit AWFUL... but then again, my taste in music is far older than I am myself. I prefer 60's &70's music to the rap noise she listens to.

But it has gotten me thinking about who I think I am. I associate with younger people, I always have. When I worked at McShithole, the people I got along with best were the teenagers, not the 'dayside ladies'.

Those old ladies are nice, but holy crap, BORING and settled and OLD.
Thing is, most of them were within 10-15 years older than me.
The people I consider my friends are all around 10 years YOUNGER than me.

Not just thinking about who I am, but WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? kind of thinking.
Do I look ridiculous when we go out... do I look like that old lady hanging out with the young crowd? Trying to fit in with them...
I don't FEEL old. But am I?

I don't dress like those silly little 20 year olds, shirts high enough to show off their belly rings and thongs. I would never, THAT would make me feel old.

I have a 13 year old kid... when I was 13 and my mother was roughly this age, I thought she was old...older I guess. Now, 34 doesn't seem old. Now that I'm here.

Gina and Charity and I are going out to the bar tonight... that's another reason this line of thinking is invading my brain right now.

Guess I will think on it awhile.

Oh, and due to STUPID SENATE MEETING, Flashback Saturday may be on hold. I have to be there at 9 am, and I don't know how long it will take. Hopefully I will be home by noon, but I am not holding out hope for that!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you had fun with the girls at the bar.

I think one big difference is you HAVE a man. Some of your friends may too but if they are single, they are trying to GET a man. Hence the reason for their dress fashions.

There's nothing wrong with looking married.

Steff said...

I'm 25 and I often get pegged as being "old" due to the fact that I like to get to bed at a decent hour and well partying until the wee hours drunk off my ass and wearing skirts up to there completely passed me by. I truly believe that age is relative!

Jan Ross said...

You are really making me curious with your comments about the Senate. What are ya talking about??

Scott from Oregon said...

I sure wish I could hang out at the bar with twenty year old girls and not look OLD...