Saturday, March 24

Senate Bylaws Meeting and calendars

OK, MrsWho asked about this senate thing I keep referring to.
I am the student senate secretary at my college. That's the senate. Just a little Podunk college and their silly little geeks trying to be all Parliamentary Procedurally correct.

I kind of got shoved into the position last September, and I have enjoyed it, for the most part, but I will be glad when it's over... in roughly 7 to 8 weeks.

Today's meeting was just dumb... ok, not really dumb, what was dumb was this year's Executive Board having to be there for it. We were rewriting the constitution, things that won't take affect until next year. Um, 3 of the 4 members of the Exec. Board are graduating and me, the other one will not be serving on Senate next year, so why the hell should we have any say in how this document is worded??

I think we should have helped the newly elected Executive Officers to know how this meeting was run, and then left them to revise their constitution. It is after all, THEIRS, not ours anymore.

What a waste of a day anyway, we were there from 9 til 2, on what was easily the most beautiful day of 2007 to date.

What made today not so beautiful was that the calendar countdown on my fridge is at zero... today.
Today should have been the day.
If not for the extension, my husband would be home with me today.

Now we can start the count all over again. This time, instead of counting down, we are counting up. We know we will not have to count past 125 though. That puts us at the end of July, beginning of august.

I'm feeling a bit melancholy and contemplative today and yes, a bit disillusioned, too. (can you tell I've been using my 'word of the day' calendar?) haha...
I'm sure my mood is based entirely on the fact that I feel cheated. Cheated out of having him here.

So the only flashbacks I'm doing today are just thinking back to the last time my husband LIVED with us. Not just 'visited', but really lived here. That would be September of 05. My god, that sounds so long ago... but there's a reasonable explanation for that...

IT WAS SO LONG AGO!!
too goddamn long for a family to be apart.
When JP left,
Alex was 11. He is 13 now
Emma was 8. She is 10 now.
Eric was 7 and he is 9 now.

My husband will end up having 2 birthdays in Iraq. Last year, I sent him a calendar I had made on the Kodak website. It was full of pictures of me and the kids, and the dogs. The calendar ran from May to April. It was supposed to be a countdown for him... when the last page of the calendar is reached, it's time to pack up and come home.
So, now what?
Do I have to send him another one?

I just want it to be over with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Pumpkin...I hope today is a better day for you. It's hard to believe they have kept him away from his family so long. My college grad date was Sept 05. I think about HOW long ago that was.

You deserve him home....NOW BY GOSH!

Steff said...

I can understand your disappointment with not having him home in your arms today. I hope for all your sakes that he's home again soon!