Sunday, January 28

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity-Jig

I'm home.
I'm exhausted, I smell (& I don't care) and I drank too much Diet Pepsi (and not enough water) on the trip... my kidneys hurt. My feet (and ankles) are swollen up from sitting in the KIA so long.

We got going around 11:30 Friday morning, pretty uneventful trip out, except that towards the end we were getting kind of punch drunk...

"I just saw a teepee"
"what?"
"Yeah, right in the median... a teepee, you didn't see it?"
"Uhhh, nooo"

"Did that sign just say "Cock Energy"?"
"No, I think it said "Cook Energy Corporation"
"OK, thought it was odd... cock energy"

We got into Grand Rapids around 3 am. We were staying at my Grandmother's house. When we got in, George was there. George is...was Grandma's cat. He looked very happy to see someone. He did not look happy to see Kate however. He did the cat stereotypical 'stand sideways arch my back and hissssss'... Kate was impressed. So impressed that she calmly walked up to George and gave him a big wet kiss. That ended their introduction, as George took off for the safety of the dust balls under the bed. They did become chummy later, and all was well. We went to sleep at 3, Mom got up at 6 and let me sleep until 8. Still not enough though.

The funeral was nice. Grandma's kids treat my mom like family ( She was actually my mom's stepmom, married to my grandpa for 40 years) and with mom having lost a lot of family in the last few years, she needs this. They are such good people.

Shortly after the funeral it started to snow. Mom talked me into leaving instead of sleeping the night and heading out Sunday morning. I wasn't happy about it, but I realized soon that she was right. There's this 'lake affect' thing going on... pretty much all the way in to Grand Rapids, and it didn't stop until Benton Harbor or so. The roads that we take run right next to Lake Michigan, and if there's even a little icky weather, that frigging lake makes it three times as bad. We left around 3 in the afternoon, and I drove through about 2&1/2 to 3 hours of blowing snow, several miles of almost white-out conditions, and I was so grateful for daylight. I would have really freaked out doing that in the dark.

We got to the other side of Chicago and started heading North, then stopped for the night. We got a hotel room where Kate was welcome (Super 8 in Illinois ~ I don't remember the name of the main town, but the exit was for "main town, right by the interstate" and Earlville off 3 miles to the East.... very highly recommended!) and slept finally. Again, not long enough... we were on the road again at 5:30 am. We made pretty good time, and hit Minneapolis/St. Paul around noon.

The rest of the trip was a whole lot of "let's just get home!"

The one thing I'm pissed about is that I missed Emma's hockey game Saturday. They played against Alexandria. Our girls always beat them. Well, they didn't this time,

BUT

Our girls did score ONE GOAL... actually, to be more specific, MY girl scored a goal.

YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, MY LITTLE GIRL SCORED THE ONLY GOAL FOR THE TEAM!!!

I wish I could have seen it, I'm so mad.

So now it's shortly after 6 pm, I have homework to do, but I just don't give a shit. Most of my teachers gave me extensions on stuff that's due tomorrow, and I am hoping Karmeen, Charity and Jacqui can help me with the rest...

I'm done, I will spend some time tomorrow getting caught up on my blog friends, and my emails (there were 24 in my inbox, I got tired just looking at that, and clicked away from it)

Goodnight all, My bed is calling my name... hear it?

Nikky, Oh, Niiikkkyyyy.... come here.

I'm coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get some rest sweet pea.

WAY TO GO HOCKEY GIRL!!!!