Tuesday, January 23

Days of our young & restless lives

I don't like drama. I tend to avoid those people who's lives are in seemingly constant turmoil. No, it's not nice, but I never said I was nice!

And now I find myself becoming one of them!
I don't mean to, really.
I'd rather not be, honestly!

So despite the bad things (which, btw, happen in 3's : JP's extension, losing our Zoey, and my Grams out in Michigan) I have decided that I want to try to focus on the positive things. They are small, and I feel like I'm reaching here, but I gotta do something to pick myself up by my bootstraps! Time to put on my big girl panties, wipe my snotty nose, and get to living!

So, here, in order of how they come to me, are things that are going GOOD in my life:

1. I took a test yesterday in Accounting, think I did pretty good on it actually. I'd be surprised if I don't get a 97-98%. I felt confident taking it, and after looking through the book after the test, I think I did very well.

2. I have a class, Intro to Public Speech. It is only once a week, Tuesdays from 3-6. Last week we had to 'interview' a classmate, and tonight, we were to give a 2 minute speech on that person. You may remember, I had "Dan, Dan, the Amway Man". I admit, I did not touch my notes on Dan... I was procrastinating. I didn't want to think about him, or the speech. I used to do pretty good with speaking in public. In high school, I was on the Speech Team, even went to State competition my Junior year with a speech I wrote. ANYWAY, I digress. I waited until about 2:30 today (yes, yes, half an hour before the class, I KNOW!) before I started to take my sprawled notes and turn it into neatly written notes on a 3x5 index card (that's all we were allowed at the podium). I did not read through it, I did not have these notes in any discernible order. I did not time myself. I sat through several speeches, as she had the class start with the end of the alphabet. (I'm a G, never last, never first, verra convenient) I was noticing that my classmates tended to run short of the 2 minutes. I was pretty worried about that, so I jotted a few more things on my card, hoping to remember to TALK SLOW. When it was my turn, I think I did OK. Karmeen was holding my watch, keeping an eye on my time. When I was done and sat down, she said I was within just a few seconds of 2 minutes. She also called me the Jacqui of Public Speaking. Jacqui is our friend who is such a brown noser, very smart though, and ALWAYS has the right and/or best answer. If we question who has the right answer among us, it is always the person who has the same answer as Jacqui. So I felt pretty good about it. When the instructor handed back our critique sheets, she marked "excellent" on mine in the category of "organized and well prepared" I found that hilarious... half an hour before the class got me an 'excellent'. Imagine what would happen if I actually used the entire week to work on it! HA

3. I had an ortho appointment today. (For those who may not know, I got braces last March). They took off 4 brackets, to move them. So for 10 minutes today, I had a view of FULL FRONTAL NUDITY of 4 of my teeth. It was exciting. I haven't seen them uncluttered with metal in almost a year. I usually get black bands on them, black goes with everything, doesn't really stick out, isn't too noticeable. I decided to get wild and crazy today, went with "Metallic Blue". Not bad, really. It's not like I smile that much anyway. I tried red last summer, THAT was a mistake. This is OK though. I may even try something else in 2 months, when I go back. "Electric Pink"... yeah, no, that's so NOT me...

4. My classes are going good, I really like the Spreadsheet Applications (It's Excel, why don't they just call it that?) Marcus is the teacher for that, had him for Intro to Computers last semester, he's pretty cool. My Computerized Accounting class is really interesting, although, that too could be called a different name (Quickbooks). My Psych class, on Friday mornings seems like it will be good, we have only had one class so far though. I REALLY like the teacher for Income Tax. He likes to inject his own views of politics (as they affect tax laws mostly, but not always) and nicely enough, he has the same views as me, so that's probably why I like him. Someone who is an evil rich person who loves their tax breaks may not agree with him, but I am a poor little girl, and I want a friggin' tax break too, dammit! LOL

OK, I think that's all I can think of for now. But see, I am not a star in my own soap opera, or at least, I DON'T WANT TO BE... and I am trying to stop!!

3 comments:

honkeie said...

I have been reading blogs as long as I have been blogging and this isnt drama. This is just an entry about your life....and you know what sheet happens sometimes.
If I am having a bad day I go and read some of the 'drama bloggers' and feel better about my life. My wife doesnt beat me, my ex isnt trying to extort money out of me, my kids have not killed anyone yet and/or I only have my mom to deal with on the family home front. I am no fan of drama but it does make for fun reading.

EJL said...

It is nice to look at the bright side, but it is okay to have to 'deal' with the bad things too. Maybe you should just splurge and go get a massage or a facial or something to bring that "I am woman" feeling back. I don't know what it is like to have a hubby so far away, but I definatly know what it is like to be drained.

Go do something for yourself. Or take the kids out for a night on the town. Just make sure what ever it is ..it lifts your spirits and brings that twinkle in your eye back!

Nikky said...

Thanks, nice to hear I'm not a 'drama queen'... I was worried for a bit there.

I will have to wait on the fun and pampering stuff though, between Christmas and having the man home, I am so broke, I squeek when I walk!