Wednesday, January 17

Can't sleep

I tried to get to sleep, but it's just not working. I don't have class until 11 tomorrow, so all I really have to do early is get the kids up. I love the fact that they're old enough now. I can do a quick drill sgt wake up call, and go back to bed.

I got an email from JP today, saying that he was back in Hell. By the end of all the travel time surrounding his leave, he was gone from there for 3 weeks. Good. It was so nice having him home... hard to get used to sharing the bed again, but towards the end, it felt like he had never left. JP does not snore... he breathes EXCESSIVELY loud when he sleeps. If he snored, I'd jab him in the ribs with my elbow and whisper/shout "stop snoring", but I feel like a total bitch for wanting to say "stop breathing"... so I don't, I just stick with the elbow in the ribs.

Classes are going OK for now, I haven't even had all of them yet. I still get to experience "first day" in my Psych. class, Friday morning at 9. The public speaking class, Tuesday from 3 to 6... shit, I'm beginning to wonder if that was such a good idea. Of course I will finish it out, but I don't think I'm as gung-ho about it now as I was before the class started. First off, I convinced Karmeen to take it with me. So I feel kind of bad for not being crazy about it, like I recommended a really shitty movie to someone, ya know?

First assignment of Public Speaking is a 2 minute speech introducing a fellow classmate. I'm thinking, this could be good, I will intro Karmeen, she can intro me. Then the teacher suspects that there are several people in the class with the same idea (bitch can read minds, I swear!) so she has us number off, and we get paired with people we don't know. First off, Karmeen gets this adorable little 16 year old kid named Ethan. Why he's taking a college course, I don't know, but Karmeen lucked out on the partner-up game, that's for sure.

Who do I get? Well, let me tell you all about Dan. At first, I thought it would be great, he's a second year Accounting student, heading into the Tax Prep field, something I am seriously considering. I figured I'd get a good grade on the speech and pick his brain in the process. Dan is a portly gentleman of roughly 55 years, I'd say. Then he drops the bomb on me. He also has a little business on the side. He sells Amway. FUCK. I just know he's going to try to convince me that my life is not complete without becoming the next brick in his little pyramid. Sure enough, when he gets to asking me questions (he has to speak about me, remember) he asks me about where I see myself in my "golden years". I tell the truth, I want JP and I to retire to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. He gets a happy place grin and says "we definitely need to talk later" Like his Amway crap is the path to my own private Mexico...

Ugh, after escaping from Damnway, finally, I head for home. The public speaking class runs from 3 to 6, so I had left a note for the kids (I had talked to them in the morning, too, they knew I wouldn't be home when they got there) The note reminded them to do their chores, get their homework done, straighten up the house, WHATEVER, just help me out, OK? That sort of thing. I get home and nope, nothing is done. 2/3 of the children are at the dining room table playing with modeling clay. The other one is zoned out in front of the playstation. Come to find out that Mom called them even, shortly after 4, she had seen the note I wrote, and called to ask them how they were doing, were they getting things done that I had asked them to? They lied to their grandmother (!!!) and said that yes, things were being taken care of, everything was great. Boy, are they on her shit list now!!

So I have all these notes about Dan, and I have to turn them into a 2 minute spiel about him... all I really want to say is "warning!! warning!! Do not look directly at the Amway Salesman!! Avert your eyes, lest he think you are interested in becoming one of his followers!!" I don't think I can drag that on for 2 minutes, so I better come up with something.

I also have to prep for a test in Accounting on Monday. Everyone else is taking it Tuesday, but I have an Ortho appointment, so I will have to miss that class. Rather than take the test a day late, I am going to take it a day early, right after we do the in-class review of the material to be covered. I hate the way this new instructor teaches. I miss Carol. I don't feel like I'm actually LEARNING stuff with Michelle. I like her, she seems like a nice person, but a bit too... scattered (?) to be a teacher. I don't know, maybe her teaching style is just so far on the other end of the spectrum from Carol's (and I loved the way Carol taught us!), maybe I'm not giving her a fair shot.

OK, so now I'm tired, I think I could sleep now, and wow, I've done a monster update, too!
Oh, and Alex is shitting just fine now,

there, NOW the update is complete!! LOL

3 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

Playa Del Carmen? Man, you need to get out more...

EJL said...

I got cornered by an amwayer...man oh man. They sell everything don't they...you never have to shop again. It is like a little cult. I got suckered into this thing called country pride. It is a food service...I can't wait till they call for the next delivery and I can tell them to shove it!

Anonymous said...

I hate college.

What is the point of that 2 min telling everyone in the class that dude sells Amway? Stupid!!
Good luck with the acct. test. You should do better since it will be fresh on your mind right after class.