Monday, December 18

Who is Santa Claus?

I asked this question of my 13 year old son tonight. Why? Because I was testing him. I told him last year, and the year before, that the answer is always "a magical fat man who brings gifts to all good children".

When he is too old to believe in Santa, he stops receiving gifts from Santa, you see.

He was getting curious, asking a lot of questions about what gifts were here, what had been ordered, etc, and I decided to shut him up. I asked him the question, assuming that he would say "well, duh, you are" like he had in years past, and I have then corrected him and shown him the "true answer" is the path to fabulous gifts. I did not expect him to remember it. I was wrong.
I was expecting him to name me and JP as "Santa" and then tell him "Ha, wrong bucko, now you get nothing" I wanted the questioning to stop. But he answered as if he were my little puppet: "Santa is a jolly fat man who brings presents to all good children".

shit.

well, I guess I should be happy that he remembered. The main reason for this, year or two ago, was so that he would not ruin it for his younger brother and sister. I don't know, the fat man may be out of the bag by now, I haven't really gotten any real questions from the younger ones yet.

Either way, I am going to double wrap some gifts, and put some that are already wrapped inside bigger boxes just to throw them off a bit. Damn kids are getting too smart to mess with at Christmas time anymore... now what fun is that? tell me?

No comments: