Friday, April 27

The tradition continues

I just had one of those great moments with a kid.

My son, Eric.
He's 9 years old.
He never used to like reading, he wasn't good at it. This school year he has really improved, I mean, he wakes up early so he can get ready for school and still have time to sit and read for a half hour before he has to go catch the bus. His bedtime is 9pm, but he goes to bed at 8:30 so he can sit in bed and read before I give him the "lights out".

Tonight he knocked on my door as I was getting ready for bed, whining because Alex was watching a movie downstairs that he (Eric) didn't like. I suggested he read in his room until he fell asleep.
He perked up, but only for a second. He said "I finished my library book, I don't have anything to read all weekend".
I brought him into my room.
"Eric, I think you're old enough now, and I know your reading has gotten so much better, I think it's time. If you want, you can borrow my Harry Potter. There's so much more in the books than they show in the movies, so if you want, you can take my copy of The Sorcerer's Stone, if you promise to take care of it"
The look on his face was magical. You'd have thought I was handing him his own wand or something. He took that book out of my hand so carefully, as if it were a rare and priceless artifact. I appreciate the care he took, it is, after all, MY copy. Alex has copies of all the books, but he has since lost the dust jackets, they've been subjected to child wear and tear. Mine are pristine. I trust Eric with it though. If not before tonight, I certainly do after how he reacted to my offering.
The torch has been passed. I am so proud.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwww!!!! It's so good he likes to read, I wish I had that. I can barely make reading through 40 blogs per day much less a book!

Scott from Oregon said...

He should be out with the boys, chasing tale at his age...

OK just kidding. Harry Potter slayed me. I wonder how a kid could not go apeshit over that series?

Glad to know you have a reader in your family. Readers make for better thinkers...