Sunday, April 1

The life of a Designated Driver


It is 5 am Sunday morning.
I am not tired.
I have not been to sleep yet.
Last night we went out for Karmeen's birthday.
My gift to her was to DD for the night, after all, I have a minivan.
I drove 45 minutes away to where she lives, and everyone else had gotten a hotel room for the night there. I did not. I had to be home, Eric has a birthday party (in 7 hours) Sunday and I need to take him shopping for the gift yet.

So we all meet up at the hotel, and pile into the Kia. We go to the bar, and I gotta tell you, I felt good about being the DD, but it was B-O-R-I-N-G!! Apparently bars are more fun when you're drinking something a little stronger than Diet Coke.

BUT, I will say this, it was the cheapest night at a bar I have ever had! Did not spend a dime. And for the most part, I didn't even have to get up to get my glass refilled with Diet Coke. All the drunk Kia riders were happy to fetch me another!

But now I am home, after taking everyone to their homes, and hotel rooms, and making sure everyone was 'done' for the night... and I can't sleep!

But at least I won't be hung over in the morning (wait, it IS morning...), and all my friends got to bed safe, and nobody got a ticket, or worse.

And now, here's the cool thing: I have done my turn, I have done my time... Unless I volunteer, I will not have to DD for a very long time. So it was kind of nice to get that out of the way, ya know?

OK, time to try to sleep... for a few hours anyway. I can nap this afternoon though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my work. They have a coverage list so that when someone calls in sick with advance notice they go in ABC order. Well my first name starts with A so last week I was called upon to work the graveyard shift (11pm-11am). Now my name goes to the bottom of the list again. It's such a good feeling, isn't it?

Glad you volunteered and stuck with your Diet Coke guns. That's hard to do.

honkeie said...

I was the DD for one of my friends birthday parties. But I always have fun being the sober one. Drunks are fun to mess with, when you arent one of them lol