Monday, April 16

Jesus H Christ, now what do I do?

This is one of those tough days to be a parent.

As I may have mentioned before, my daughter Emma is on a religion kick. As a child I was forced to attend Holy Hellfire & Brimstone (aka Catholic church) and I decided way back then that I would not force my children into a religion, ANY religion. I figured I would allow them to make up their own minds. Of course, I did not take them to any churches to even dabble, see if they like it... and that was purely selfish reasoning: I did NOT want to go.

Now the past few weeks, Emma has been going to a church youth group with a friend of hers. She walks over to friend's house, and her parents drive them to said church. No, I do not know which church in town it is, and I do not know where it is, I only know that she goes, and she appears to like it.

I have no issue with that, or rather, I didn't, until she showed me this...propaganda. It's a worksheet type thing, checkpoints for progress in the youth group (coughCULTcough). The main thing that bothers me is the verses they are making kids memorize.

A sample:
John 3:36
"He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Ok, anything that babbles about "non believers" seeing the wrath of God is not the sort of thing I want my daughter exposed to. This sounds like the kind of scary shit that turned me off to religion.

Another:
Romans 6:23
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"

Do I really need to explain my dislike for this one? Maybe if I couple it with the next one, you will see why it bothers me...

Psalm 130:3
"If you, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?"

So this last one says "hey, if you pointed out sinners, who would be left?" Add that to the one above it, paraphrased "sin=death" and holy shit, that is just horrible.

Now, I don't want to start a religious debate, in fact, I promise that any comments that I don't like will be deleted. I am not asking for someone to explain (as if ya could) this shit to me, I am not asking for the opinion of a bible banger. I am merely venting on the fact that my daughter is doing something that I do not approve of, but 'society' deems it acceptable and if I stifle this eagerness to learn, what kind of mother am I?

If she were dabbling in the occult, or drugs, what have you, I would stop it, and be patted on the back as a 'good mum' but if I tell her that I do not like the direction this religion is going, if I tell her that I forbid her to go back there, then suddenly I am the bad guy.

In my opinion, the Bible is a book of stories. I do not believe that any of it is fact. I am a skeptic at best, and more likely I am agnostic, possibly even atheist.

How does an atheist end up raising a nun? Probably the same way a homophobe ends up with a gay child... karmic irony... or, in the immortal words of my friend Scott, maybe it's just PDL.

funny thing to add to the bottom of this though, on the religion line of discussion: The other day I heard Emma and Eric talking in the living room. I hid around the corner and eavesdropped.

Emma: Do you know what God's first name is?
Eric: It's God, just God.
Emma: No, dummy, he's got a first name.
Eric: Yeah? So what is it?
Emma: James.
Eric: Bull
Emma: No, really, says right here on the front "King James"...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK the conversation at the end is freaking hilarious.

You're the mom...if you are not comfortable with it...you are STILL mom and final decisions lie with YOU.

My 2 cents.

Steff said...

I'm a Christian so I'll tread lightly here, but aren't you doing essentially the same thing your parents did to you...instead of letting you make your own choices and then supporting that they forced something on you that you totally despised...if you force her to quit going to church?

Scott from Oregon said...

There is no reason to force her to quit church. What you CAN DO is learn the language of logic, and have conversations with her.

Tell her that you will miss her in the after-life because you are going to hell, according to her new beliefs.

Tell her that...

oh heck... I am sure you can talk all about the issue with her without my help and get her to think about the other side of the coin.

I used to have long talks with a Christian carpenter friend that would just make him shake his head...

Nikky said...

Yes, Steff, you're right, and that is exactly where I am conflicted. On one hand I think I should just wait it out and let her realize for herself how absurd the whole thing is, but on the other hand, I AM HER MOTHER... ya know? I just don't know... JP? I know you've got your new laptop and you're reading again... so I'd like a father's opinion here.... I'm waiting!

Nikky said...

But Scott, I don't believe that I am going to hell, any more than I believe that 'followers' are going to heaven.(Yes, I know I have joked about how I am going to hell...)

What I have done so far is talk to her about the passages I mentioned, said that I think they sounded a little scary (and she agreed) and that I wasn't too sure that I agreed with it.

Scott from Oregon said...

That's my point. Scripture says you are eternally damned if you don't follow scripture. Sort of the built in threat of obeisance mechanism...

Jan Ross said...

Nikky,

I TOTALLY agree with everything you said. I think there are millions of good, very good people in the world who do not believe in Jesus. But they are spiritual people who believe in God. So, they are going to hell? C'mon. I just don't think God would do that. Not the nice one I believe in. I also agree that the bible is allegory, not literal truth. My daughter got into going to church when she was a teen and we just had some discussions about beliefs and I let her make up her own mind. I think that's all you can do.