Sunday, April 15

OK, who slipped something in my diet pepsi?

Like speed...

Not that I'm complaining, (the kids are) I'm just curious how someone managed to slip me some serious "GO" drugs.

I got up at 8 this morning, ate a brownie and cracked open the first (of many) diet pepsi's. I started with the laundry roundup. From my room, from the bathroom, from scattered corners of the globe (aka the living room, the family room and the porch)

After getting laundry moving, I started small, 'straightening up' in the living room. I filed all my school papers that had accumulated on my desk. Then I grabbed the duster and dusted the living room. Might as well vacuum while I'm here, because here sits the vacuum (which I love, by the way, it's relatively new, a Dirt Devil power brush. No bag, which is my favorite feature), and I filled that thing 5 times today... damn dogs. Love them, hate their hair.

After I finished the living room, I moved laundry (from now on in my description of my day, just assume that every time the dryer shut off, I was there to empty it, fill it and fill the washer, and fold all clothes, AND put them away! I have lost count how many loads have passed through there today)

Then I woke up the kids, by then it was shortly after 10. I told them that I would be doing their big chores (Alex's dishes, Emma's laundry and Eric's vacuuming) and all they had to do today was stay out of my way, not make any new messes and CLEAN THEIR ROOMS.

Alex and Emma are done (it's shortly after 4 now) but Eric is still dawdling in there. He says it will take hours, no days, NO, WEEKS! to finish. Whiner....

I then moved to my room, stripped the bedding, cleaned up, emptied the garbage, and shook out the girls' beds. Then I vacuumed up enough dog hair to make my own little sheltie, if I so chose, but I did not... I like a BIG dog... hehehe. Maybe I should save it up til I have enough for a Saint Bernard.

I vacuumed my way down the hall, and even took the time to grab a scissors to snip those annoying strands of carpet that are coming unwoven and get pulled up by the vacuum.

I went downstairs (presumably to move laundry) and got started on the family room. I moved the smaller desk upstairs and out to the garage with Alex's help, along with one of the big computer desk chairs. I was even nice and asked the kids which one they prefer and left that one. When I started vacuuming down there, it was so odd. I actually moved things. Not just the little stuff, end tables etc, I moved the love seat AND the big couch. With the desk out of the way, I was able to set up my Gazelle, instead of having it folded up against the wall. Maybe I will actually use it now that it sits 'at the ready'... ha, yeah, right.

I had a growing pile of furniture etc in the porch that will eventually go on my rummage sale this summer, so I moved it all out to the garage. I cleaned up the porch, including several of the bags of burnable garbage (Mom stopped by, I sent them with her, saves me the trip!)

I took every piece of movable furniture out of the kitchen and dining room and did a sweep. When I was done, I got the vacuum, and sucked out the heat registers and got wwwaaaaaay under the fridge, sucking dog hair the whole time. When the floor was finally down to tile, not covered with fur, I got out my good buddy, Mr. Clean. I mopped the floor, not once, but twice. Of course, with the muddy wet weather lately, and dogs who love to play outside... and then come inside... it did not take long for my mop water to get decidedly gross. So I did the first layer, and got fresh water and did it again.

Of course, I forgot to mention that first thing this morning, 8 am, it was 40 degrees outside, I opened all doors and windows. It was a bit chilly at first, but after I started working, I was constantly warm. Actually sweaty, in fact. I probably smell pretty raunchy now, and I just don't care. I still have a bunch of laundry to do, and I need to make my bed. Now, here's the beauty of the whole day:

Tonight, I will take a shower and fall exhausted into a nice clean fresh smelling bed. That is the best sleep there is... well, it's the best sleep available to ME until late July at least.

And it is a beautiful day, mid 60's, sunny, a slight breeze. A PERFECT Spring day, FINALLY!

Oh, and yes, there is a reason (other than narcotics) that I am cleaning like an insane OCD junkie... the in-laws are coming up next weekend to stay with the kids. I want my house clean before they get here. I want NOTHING left in the laundry room to be done (she loves bleach... in EVERY load.) I will be gone, so I won't be able to watch her... so I am doing a preemptive strike here.
Gotta go, I heard the dryer shut off!!

4 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

I hate it when somebody else decides my colored underwear needs bleach.

you should hide all your nice stuff until you get back...

Anonymous said...

HIDE THE TOYS!!!! (not the kids' that I'm talking about)

I hate dog hair too--but love the dogs.

You got a minute? Our house could use a top to bottom spring cleaning

Nikky said...

Nope, not hiding a thing! If that woman wants to snoop around, she deserves the heart attack or embarrassment.
I do not leave anything laying out in the open, but if she opens that top dresser drawer (WHY WOULD SHE? other than to snoop!) she will be in for a surprise!

Jan Ross said...

Ooooooh, I am so jealous. I had spring break from school last week and all I did was go out to lunch, read and go to the spa. I should have cleaned more...oh, what am I talking about? I loved it! The dust can wait.