Sunday, January 13

Alex's request

So here it is... my worst day as a parent. And, if I'm thinking optimistically, my best as well.

Alex came knocking at my door last night. I was chillin' in bed, playing free cell on my laptop. He is standing in the doorway and... well, here's the beginning of the conversation, as best as I can remember it:

Alex: Um, Mom, can I ask you a favor, kind of a big one?
Me: You can ASK, I can't guarantee anything (a bit of sarcastic truth here)
Alex: Could everyone be gone, like out of the house next weekend, (girlfriend's name) is coming over.
Me: That depends on what you mean by 'everyone'... if you're talking your brother and sister gone, yeah, I can probably arrange that. If you mean adults, too, then I'd have to say no.
Alex: But why?
Me: Because I KNOW what 14 year olds think they want to do if they're allowed to be alone.
Alex: Ugh, what?
Me: well, ahhhm, sex, basically.
Alex: Well, yeah, duh, I just didn't want to come out and SAY it.
(Yes, at this point, if I hadn't been lounging in my bed, I would have fallen over. Yes, you read it right, my son just asked me to vacate the house so he could BONE his girlfriend! I was speechless for a bit here... sit back and "feel" the stun with me, won't you?)

Let me preface the rest of the conversation with this: I swear. Quite a bit. And yes, I swear in front of, and on occasion AT my children. Sue me. They're my kids, if you don't approve, don't swear at YOUR kids. Now, let's rejoin the conversation, shall we? LOL

Me: Are ya kidding me? Really? Alex, you're serious? Then, gee, I guess my answer would have to be NO FUCKING WAY!!

I then asked him a few questions, and he told me that he HAD protection (this does not bother me, when I had "the talk" with him, I told him that I would always be available to get them for him... he never took me up on it) he had gotten condoms from his friends' older brother. Well, THAT kid isn't allowed in my home ever again!

I gave him the whole "You're too young" speech, and conceded that 16 would be the youngest that I would consider "ok" without me being very upset. I told him that I was 18 when I lost my virginity (and yes, that IS the truth) and he answered with this: Yeah, but you're a girl." UM, DUMBASS, SO IS your girlfriend!!
I told him that his father was 16 when he first had sex (guessing here, because Mr Romance doesn't exactly remember, but 16 helps my point, so I went with that) and Alex's response to that was this: He was probably teased about it though"

Which made me wonder about Alex's friends... I asked him. He refused to tell me the WHO, but he said that studs were the majority, while pussies were the minority. Now, I am not that far removed from teenagers, I remember the lies we told each other to make ourselves look better. So I don't know how much I believe that, but still, he is in the 8th grade... just the fact that sex is a topic, and 'gettin' some' is something they are currently working on... and MY SON HAS A CONDOM IN HIS WALLET...

OK, that's it, I don't want to be a Mom anymore, can I just quit now? It was hard when they were babies, and then it got a little easier during those middle years, and now they're turning into teens and it's going to get worse again.
I think it was the Tin Man who said "I could be wrong, but I think it's going to get worse before it gets better"
Shit...
Oh, the "best day" part of it? HE TALKED TO ME ABOUT IT. I should think about how happy it makes me that he trusts me enough to come to me. But can I get a "HOLY SHIT" from the crowd regarding the balls this kid has? I refuse to HELP him to get laid. Yes, I want him to think of me as a friend, as well as a parent... but I'm not THAT good of a friend!

christ, my head hurts....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in 8th grade I felt a boys "wee wee" and thought it was gross. I can't believe these kids actually WANT to have sex. Do they even have an ACTIVE sex drive at that age? I know I had my period but was horny even a verb I knew about???

I'm so sorry your kid wants to "do it" already. It does seem young. At least he's got condoms...that's a positive. Has "dad" talked to him about any of this?????

Nikky said...

That's the thing, when JP left, Alex still thought girls were pretty gross. I gave Alex "the talk" without JP, altho even if he had been here, I doubt he would have been effective in that area. JP does not like to be embarrassed, or to cause embarrassment to anyone. That kind of conversation happening between JP and Alex would have had them both wigging out.

And THANK YOU, I thought just the thought of sex was kind of scary and icky when I was in the 8th grade... times sure have changed...

Anonymous said...

Well unless 'dad' wants to change dipers and rock a GRANDBABY to sleep, maybe he should have his non-embarassing talk!!!lol

Jan Ross said...

Whoa! I know that's the way it is now but that would be pretty shocking. It IS good that he talked to you about it, but he is just so young. I was 18 also and I even wish I had waited longer! I hope you and his dad can encourage him to wait a while. I wonder if those studs at school have actually done it - you know how kids brag.

Melissa said...

The best part of the day really IS the best part, but goodness gracious regarding the rest! I'd have been taken aback.

Granted, I wasn't much past that age when I started seriously considering having sex, but my mom made sure she was sure I was sure what she would condone and what she wouldn't. Which sounds like just what you did, and for that, your son should thank you.

Scott from Oregon said...

How so very European!