Thursday, September 13

Wednesday morning's events

With my joy over sleeping yesterday, I forgot to mention how Alex and I (and Eric, really) goofed yesterday and made it all better!

I got up Wednesday morning around 6:30, just before JP left for work. I was tired, and I was still suffering a bit from this cold. I decided to skip the first hour of my Computerized Accounting class. It runs from 8 til 10, it's all lab time, work at our own pace, and I am chugging along nicely, well in line with everyone else in the class. So I went around the house and woke up the kids and when I was darn near sure they were all alert, I told them that I was going to go back to bed for awhile. As I shut my door, I heard Alex ask Eric to holler at him when it was time to go to the bus stop. I poked my head back out to see Alex curling up on the couch. He was starting to feel the effects of the same cold that was kicking my ass.

I went into bed, and reset the alarm for 8:40. I snoozed lightly for awhile, and got up when the alarm went off. I was considering not going to classes at all. I was having an inner conversation with myself, going back and forth between "Yes, I can just email Michele, she will give me any assignments I might miss, I'll be fine, I can go back to bed" and the next minute it was "Suck it up, get your ass out of your jammies and go to class"

I was finally giving in, I was dressed, I was putting my laptop into my bag, slamming it in, really. It was that thud that woke Alex up. He was still on the couch. Emma and Eric had left for the bus stop at 7:20, and left him there, snoring.

He startled me, and I jumped and hollered "What are you doing here?" at the same time he jumped up off the couch and hollered "What time is it?" Well, shit. He's late for school.
Referring back to my felonious high school days, I quickly sat down at the dining room table and dashed off a quick note:
Please excuse Alex's tardiness this morning, I needed his help. Our dog got loose. Thank You, Nicole Parent.
Admittedly, not my best work, but I was under pressure, I was tired and sick, and it was the first thing that came to me.

Best part was Wednesday night after my nap, I asked Alex if he got in trouble or anything.

"Nope, they bought it... geez, it was almost as bad as 'my dog ate my homework' and they still bought it"
And he grinned as he walked away.

1 comment:

Steff said...

That reminds me of when my mom used to let me take "mental health" days. She was a pretty cool mom...even then!

Sounds like you're one too!