Thursday, August 16

Will my son be the weird one,too?

When I was a kid, being the child of divorced parents was becoming more the norm and less the freak show. Just becoming. Most of the time, until I reached my Senior year, I was not normal. My parents were happily married. I was not shuffled off between one house or the next, I did not spend weekends with my dad and live with my mom during the week.

Once my Senior year hit, and my parents divorced, I finally became normal. I went on little excursions with my Dad on Saturdays, and had to call my dad to come help me when my car broke down. Had to call him, couldn't just pop down to the living room to find him. Finally, I was normal, I was not the freak.

Yesterday, Alex came to me to tell me that his best friend "Diesel" (not his real name) 's parents are getting a divorce. His other best friend, "Shitball" has parents who are headed in the same direction, fighting constantly.

I'm not going to spout off statistics about the divorce rate, mainly because I don't know the numbers and I'm too damn lazy to Google it or anything. But it's high, we all know the divorce rate is pretty damn high.

So what I'm saying is that my son (and all my children for that matter) is going to end up being the weird one.
And I'm ok with that. I hope they are, I hope they realize that in this respect, they're lucky to be weird.

But mostly I feel bad for Diesel... and his mom.

7 comments:

Steff said...

I think the divorce rate is one out of two marriages ends in divorce. And, your kids are in good company...my parents have been married 29 years. Divorce is hard on everyone, but it does seem like the kids suffer the most.

Friend Shitball...there a story there?!

Nikky said...

Shitball's real name is Casey. I called him Shitball once when he was over, and now they all call him that. Even Shitball's parents call him that now.
Apparently I am either cool or powerful because what I say...GOES!

Steff said...

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I find something very wrong with calling your child Shitball and it being okay. First for the curse word and secondly because it's not nice. But to each his own I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Mom always said statistics showed me or my sister would get a divorce (50% rate apparently). We both got a divorce but no kids thankfully. I was the "weird one" too b/c my parents stayed together. I'm glad I was weird.

Kids adjust...it's hard but they do. Hopefully one or both parents stay sane and help the kids "deal" with the situation.

Ditto on the shitball nickname.

Melissa said...

Most of my friends' parents (and mine) stayed married, so I guess we bucked the odds. The friends I had with divorced parents, and there were a few, did just fine. Kids are nothing if not adaptable. I think it boils down to how happy the home life is.

Nikky said...

I dunno gang, I guess that's just the relationship I have with my kids, and therefore, their friends. I curse...probably alot in comparison to other parents. I would never claim to be "mother of the year" material!! ;o)
But it's who I am, and I guess I think it's ok especially when ya consider that Shitball's parents call him that, too. Obviously it doesn't bother them. I will say tho, I don't treat my younger kids' friends the same way, so maybe it's an age thing, too. It's not like those 13 year olds haven't heard that word before!
I guess I look at it as any other nickname, I call my daughter M&M, I call Alex "Monkey butt" or "Butt Monkey" (whichever pops out of my mouth first!) and I think any name, swear words or not depend alot on the tone of voice and whether the name is used affectionately or not.
I call him Shitball with affection, he's a good kid and he knows I like him alot.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a house where "gosh, golly, and crap" were NOT allowed. If Bat & I were to ever have children...he would SOOOO call our kids shitballs (with the biggest loving heart). I would probably just envision my child writing in his/her blog 20 years later about the effects of his father calling him a shitball his whole life. lol