Sunday, June 3

Just call us the Clampetts

Yeah, how's this for a turnaround?
I go from the literary cannon this morning to picking off a chipmunk with a .22 this evening.
I am a diverse woman, I tell ya!

The kids and I went out to Mom's for dinner (again... 2nd Sunday in a row, this could become a habit...one I like)

This is how redneck we are: We are eating steaks and all the fixin's (including wild grown asparagus from the grove) sitting out on the deck. Mom, Alex, Eric, Emma and I... chatting and enjoying some really fine steak. This all seems normal enough, except that suddenly out of the corner of my eye, I see a chipmunk in the woodpile. I set down my fork and calmly ask Mom to hand me the gun. Yes, we had a gun sitting that close to us at the dinner table. (redneck... told ya!)

I got the little bastard in my sights and took my shot. Missed. The little bugger didn't move. Maybe he thought I didn't see him. Maybe he thought I was thinking he had run off. Maybe he was just that stupid. So I lined him up between the cross hairs again, and holy shit, I missed that little bugger again! At least this time he finally ran off. I swore a bit, set the gun down (yes, I did put the safety back on) and picked up my fork and finished my dinner as if nothing had happened. The really redneck part was that nobody, not Mom, not any of the kids, questioned it at all, except to ask if I got him.

After we cleared off the dinner dishes, we sat out on the deck talking. Eventually, the chipmunks came out again. I think that 'stupid' theory is about right. I got another chance, albeit a different chipmunk. I know because instead of the woodpile, they were on the other side of the lawn, over by the garden. I dropped mine in one nice front and center chest shot. No death quivers, no running for 10 feet, just bam, down she went. Yes, it was a female. One who had been, until recently, nursing babies. I was just coming back from the edge of the woods, disposing of the body when Mom, up on the deck, gave me a stop sign. I saw her with the gun up, she had one in her sights. I waited til she took her shot, and then went over and picked up the baby to the one I got and tossed that little sucker into the same area where I had just chucked it's mommy.

Yup, it's a good Sunday dinner when we can kill something. I'm hoping next week for a nice big roast for supper and a bunny to shoot at. Last week was a squirrel (my first) and this week was a chipmunk (also a first) and now I just want to kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit (think Elmer Fudd, gang!)

Now that I'm home and sleepy, of course I have to read an Ethics assignment. Well, if I were suffering from insomnia, this would do the trick, but I'm not, I am already tired... Maybe I will put it down and try again in the morning.

I still have to print out my Narrative rough draft story for Writing, too. I used my blog post about when Alex was full of shit, changed it, rewrote some of it, and I'm using that. Yes, technically, it's recycling, but it's still MY work. I just can't seem to do a short story. Every time I start writing one, I want to do a full length novel with it. I simply cannot sum things up in short story form.

Well, that's it, time to close up shop for the night, it's only a little after 10, but I think being outside in the fresh air has really done me in.

3 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

I'm confused. Do you shoot critters because you just don't like critters, or is there some sort of epidemic going on?

Steff said...

OMG! That was too funny. Granted I don't shoot at things but I think I could do it without all the drama of oh my god I killed one of natures creatures! The other day I hit a squirrel and I looked in the rear view mirror to find it spinning in the street. That was a little unsettling though.

Nikky said...

It's not that I don't like critters, I just like shooting them. Mom and Dave have a huge garden, and keeping the critter population down helps the veggie yeild go up.

Plus, it's just so damn fun! What a great rush! Love Love Love shootin' critters!