Tuesday, February 27

Commemorative Speeches

Tonight in class we had to write a commemorative speech. It was impromptu, which meant we had about 20 minutes to prepare it, then stand up and give it. For those who may be unsure, a commemorative speech is one given at an event, to COMMEMORATE it... a wedding, a funeral, a graduation, anniversary, etc.

I chose to do mine as if JP and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. It's only 11 years away, might as well be prepared, right? I hate to sound so full of myself, but I really liked the speech I wrote, and so did several of my classmates. I thought I'd share it here...


I'd like to thank you all for coming tonight, it means so much to JP and I to be surrounded by family and friends as we celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. If you will indulge me, I would like to say a few words as I look back on our time together.

I fell in love with this man 27 years ago, in a Hardee's in Southern Minnesota. I didn't even know his name, but I knew I would marry him. It truly was love at first sight.

I fell in love with this man 24 years ago when he went out at 3am to find sardines in mustard sauce and strawberry yogurt for his very fat, very pregnant wife.

I fell in love with this man 20 years ago as he met his newborn daughter for the first time, and fell in love with her.

I fell in love with this man every day for the past 25 years because he puts up with me, he tolerates me, and he accepts me. Whether I go behind his back to buy a kitten, a truck, or even, yes, a house, he loves me.

I don't know how I got to be so lucky... the man I fell in love with... fell in love with me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you again for being with us tonight, please, help yourself to the open bar!!

Big round of applause, and a big A from the teacher... It was a good night at class...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that's the sweetest thing!!! I love that idea...you're a genius. I give you an A+ too!!!

Scott from Oregon said...

Put that in your time capsule and pull it out at the appopriate time.

Writing is easy when you mean what you say...