Thursday, January 29

I hate surprises

This is just a reminder (on my lunch hour) to finish this post... I'll know what it means when I get off work tonight, and I have time to finish it then... stop back later for the explanation!

OK, here it is... my mom has always said that she hates surprises, I always thought she was silly, surprises are WONDERFUL!! Maybe it's me getting older, maybe I am just becoming the big control freak that I was always meant to be... but I agree with her now... Surprises suck. Quite often, the surprise part is holy shit, I have to act like I LIKE IT... Surprise, time to act... grateful.

While Mom and I were in Chicago, JP decided to SURPRISE me. I hate to sound like a bitch, because I DO appreciate the effort and incredible amount of work he did... but the outcome isn't exactly...nice.

He decided to paint the kitchen cabinets. We had long ago talked about it, and I mentioned the color scheme I had in mind, even mentioning that I HAVE... IN MY POSSESSION the paint I wanted to use...

He could have surprised me with finishing THE GODDAMN TOOL ROOM. But no, that would involve the word "finish"... something he is obviously allergic to!

He painted the kitchen cabinets... ugly. They are 2 shades of grey... while the surrounding walls are shades of beige... and NO, HE DIDN'T FINISH this either. The knobs (which I bought with the beige paint in mind OVER 2 YEARS AGO) are beige, and the hinges need replacing no matter what.

It's like he wasted all this money (we OWN the paint I wanted to use, but he bought different) and now we have to pay MORE money to have matching knobs and pulls... I HAD knobs and pulls to match the PAINT WE ALREADY OWN...

Damn, I just feel like an ungrateful bitch. If only he had said "Nik, I was thinking of doing a project while you're gone, any suggestions?"

I would have said "Why don't you finish out the tool room, whatever shelving you want, pegboard, whatever, go nuts, have fun"

Instead... he did this.

I know, I know... bitch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay

Anonymous said...

Girl...that is where YOU cook the meals!!! Why did he come up wtih GREY???? Does he think it looks good? I cannot imagine the look on your face when you saw the cabinets. You are not being a bitch in my opinion, you have every right to say um...honey I love the THOUGHT but that's not the color I had in mind. Of course he may NEVER do anything for you again while you're gone. I hope you come up with a solution, you don't want to start resenting him every time you walk into the kitchen.

Steff said...

First, I had to laugh my head off. Men...they need serious help when it comes to surprising us women.

On one hand I can totally appreciate the sweetness of his gesture. On the other...I can picture your face when you looked at it. So...did you agree that they were lovely or did you say what you thought?

Poor JP...does he still read this blog? Hahahahaha!

Unknown said...

Why is the world the man didn't use your colors, which you already had, I can't understand....tell him the truth..you hate it! (Of course, that could be why I'm single...) Ha!