Tuesday, January 20

Job Offer!

Well, isn't the world a weird little place...

Remember I first had a secret, didn't want to mention it, said I'd either say "shit" quietly or shout from the rooftops? Remember then 3 weeks or so later, I didn't say "shit", because I had a job interview, but thought that the job seemed a bit overwhelming, AND it didn't sound like they were willing to pay me enough to cover the commute??

I gave details the day I got the 'loser letter'... and didn't feel like a loser, either.

I got a call from them tonight. They told me that I was their 2nd choice (out of something like 24 applicants) and that their first choice had gotten a better offer somewhere else. Rather than open the floodgates and start the interview process all over again, they wanted to offer it to me, first.

He was very open and honest with me, so I returned the favor; told him that I was a bit overwhelmed after the interview... excited about the possibility, but, admittedly, without much experience, it WAS overwhelming.. and I also told him that I had gotten the impression that they weren't really able to offer me enough $$ to make it worth the commute. He and I talked a bit about that, about how at $X.xx per hour currently, but only about 35 hours per week... meh, not bad, but with them, it would be $X.xx (that's about 2 X's MORE per hour) and a guaranteed 40 (if not more) per week then it probably would be worth the commute.

I just don't know, it's SO out of the blue. I was just talking to my old classmate from college LAST NIGHT and told him that what I really wanted was a job where I could use my education, wear jeans to work and not feel like a leper if I said "shit"... and this job IS that.

Here's the scary part(s): what if I suck at it, what if I don't catch on as quick as they'd like, and they invite me to quit? (nice way of saying, what if they fire my ass?) Then I'm out of a job.

I'm really nervous about this, and JP is not being helpful, he won't listen to me try to talk it out... he just raises his eyebrow and grins as he walks away... jerk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's GREAT!!! You put yourself thru college therefore, You will catch on quickly.I know you have fears and reservations but that's life too, RISKS. Hopefully this is a job that once you learn the job, it's a piece of cake and you'll sit back wondering why you were so worried. If the job pays more than you're making now and you can cover your commute expenses how can you go wrong? Looks like it might help with that new years resolution debt you want to pay off.

Scott from Oregon said...

Consider quality of life too...

That extra commute time means no gym time and a growing, uh, set of seat cushions...

Commuting takes away the time and desire to do something on a work day besides work.

Stability of employment for a rough '09 should be a consideration too.

Stay away from retail and commercial real estate...

Anonymous said...

Hey I think you are capable of doing anything, you will understand it. You were good in school now just take the chance and think about the job. What it entails. COngratulations at least your getting an offer.

Nikky said...

Anon? Karmel? sign in dearie, so I know WHO you are! LOL

Thanks everyone, I THINK I MAY have reached a SORT OF decision...