Monday, October 8

Snogging literary characters!

Mrs. Who suggested that we discuss what characters in books we've read that we would consider... snog-able.

When I read her entry this morning, my mind went immediately to Sydney Carton. You know, from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

I first read that book when I was about 14, maybe 15. Certainly before any 'coming of age' activity. Well before I ever had a "real" boyfriend. In my mind, Lucie Manette was a fool. Sure, Charles Darnay was ok, a proper choice of suitors. But Sydney Carton was the one who made me swoon. Throughout the book, he was moody and usually drunk, and he didn't seem to care about his job or his future. The only thing he really seemed sure of was his love for Lucie. Bitch. She didn't deserve his pure love and devotion. She barely saw him as a man, she looked at him as a pity case.
I remember literally doing a *sigh* "I want a man to love me like that" when I read the end... "It is a far far better thing that I do, than I have ever done" Sydney gave his life so that the woman he loved could be happy. With another man. Hell, it still makes me sigh. If it'd been me, I would have dumped Charles, let him go to the guillotine and spent my life with Sydney Carton.

And of course, just for the excitement and darkness of it, I would also put Louis from Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire in the 'snog-able' category. Sure, he'd probably suck me dry and leave me for dead, but holy balls, what a way to go!

Hmmm, I think I have to add two books to my bedside table, I think I need to give each of those a re-read.

2 comments:

Steff said...

Help a girl out...what is snog-able mean?

Nikky said...

ok, I'm going with a loose interpretation here, snogging, or "to snog" is making out. It's a british slang term. Sort of like shagging, or "to shag" means... um... well, YOU KNOW.
Silly brits and their nasty words!
LOL