Saturday, July 28

Indecisiveness

It's been wonderful having him home. I have realized, however, that I had conveniently forgotten some stuff that irks me about him...

He is indecisive. I don't mean that he says "I don't know" when I ask him what he wants to do today. I mean he says "I don't care"

He's been this way as long as I've known him, and I guess, if I think hard and remember back, my reaction to this was to roll my eyes and make the decision myself. Maybe it just sticks out now as an "irk" because I have been making ALL the decisions for the past almost 2 years, and I feel like I want to include him, it's his right, as the other adult member of this family, to have a vote. Maybe I feel like I'm tired of making all the decisions, and perhaps he could take charge on a few, like what we're doing today, or what we should have for supper.

But honestly, is it too much to ask to get a real answer?

Honey, what do you want for supper?
I don't care.

COME ON!! Say 'meatloaf' or 'spaghetti', something, ANYTHING... have a freakin' opinion!

Some may say that this is a wonderful thing, and I should be grateful that he is not so domineering and isn't one of those 'my way or the highway' kind of guys. I get that, I appreciate that. That is, in fact, how I ended up with my children named the way I wanted, it's how I got my dog, and my second dog, and my cat, and my Kia... he usually lets me have my way. I do appreciate that, and in fact, I really love it... about the big things.

But dinner? Come on, please?

say "not chicken alfredo" at the very least...

Maybe he is doing this on purpose, maybe he is worried about coming back and rocking the boat, taking charge like a real dick, you know? I know he still reads this, so I'm hoping he will check back within the next couple of days and see that I DO want to hear his opinions, and I do value them, and I DO care what he thinks, and I DON'T see his opinions as a threat to the way I have been running this house since he's been gone.

I know, I should just sit down and talk to him about it, and I will tonight. That is one thing that we have been doing pretty good at, talking about things that have changed and how it affects us both. Maybe I was just using this post as a vent to collect my thoughts for the talk we will have later tonight.

Yeah, I've decided, that must be it.
See that? I made a decision... about something minute and small. I will talk to JP tonight about him and his lack of opinion.
It's not so tough, ya know...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's ok to vent sweetie. This is a BIG adjustment. You've been running the show! If he has always been this way he probably hasn't changed much by now and doesn't plan to. If you think about it...he has been USED to someone giving him orders while overseas. From his perspective, maybe he's just going to stick to that plan since it worked at "work", maybe it will work at home. Let someone else tell him what to do. They don't ask you in the Army what you want for dinner...

On the other hand, my ex husband was like this too. He always let me decide everything. He was a push over. He wanted me to be happy 100% of the time so he just sheepishly sat back and let me make all the decisions, good or bad. I wanted a man who would stand up to me and say NO dammit we're having hamburgers tonight because that's what I am hungry for. Not that overbearing of course but I do love a 2nd opinion, especially if I'm not craving something specific. I know you are probably wanting to PLEASE him so badly right now because he has been away and you want home to be 200 times better than where he has been eating MRE's or whatever the crap they serve them over there.

Hang in there. You are right that you need to talk to him, but just don't expect overnight results. If he is born like this, he can WORK on it, but it might take a day or two...or three.

Hugs as always.

Scott from Oregon said...

Oh man, if I just got back from overseas and my wife was already starting to have "the talks"...

I say, let the poor guy be for awhile...

He's got a lot of bigger adjustments to make than that one...

Melissa said...

How did it go?

Nikky said...

He and I talk about things, that's what we do. When I say "we should talk..." it does not mean "I will talk, you will listen" It means we will talk about it.
So no, Scott, it's not "that talk" like you're thinking.
But I also decided to let it go and give it a few more days. He has seemed to figure it out, and has taken some initiative.

Things are fine here, and I decided what to have for dinner tonight... and he happily ate it. That's what we do, I guess I just forgot for awhile. I guess I am just sick to death of making every damn decision.

Besides, if I tried to make a decision that he was definatly opposed to, I know he would speak up.