Sunday, February 26

15 days, lack of class

We leave in 15 days. Since today is almost over, it's actually like 14. I have been getting things together, snacks and juice for the kids, watching for sales etc. I don't want to spend any more money on the drive than we have to. JP also suggested using cash as much as possible, avoid using the card in situations where someone might get the card numbers. The last thing we need to deal with is fraudulent charges. So I have been to the ATM the last 2 days taking out the $200 limit per day and socking it away. I will keep that up until I have the majority of our trip money in cash. I'm pretty sure we'd be safe using the card to pay for the hotel in Ellisville, it's a Best Western, a national chain. But I think maybe we should use cash at the place in Pensacola Beach.

Emma had a game today against Moorhead. The coaches for the other team, just like their Fargo neighbors showed a severe lack of class. They had our girls beat midway through the second period, something like 10 to nothing. And yet they did not pull a player. They didn't even make their girls do a minimum of 5 passes before scoring. I have seen some other teams do this, it's an understood show of good sportsmanship. Moorhead did not have good sportsmanship. I saw their girls score 4 times in 2 minutes. I think it's important in kids' sports that they learn how to lose. Believe me, our girls have learned that lesson. I don't think they deserve to be subjected to such a pounding. I'm so tempted to write a letter to their coaching staff. I'm sure it would just be received as a letter from a pissed off hockeymom. Despite this, our girls were not sore losers. They did the whole hand shake thing at the end of the beating, thanked the no class coaches for coming even! My daughter amazes me. On the way home, she did mention that yes, they got their butts handed to them, but then in the next breath, was asking me if I saw her smashing a Moorhead girl against the boards and taking the puck away from her... yes baby, I saw that. I was so proud of my little girl today.

Other than the hockey beating, today was a very lazy day. I even got to sleep in until 8:30! The kids and I watched movies pretty much all day. We did manage to get a few things done around here though. The laundry is done, Alex is about to head upstairs to load the dishwasher.

I have been getting bills ready to pay, too. Payday is Wednesday, and I want to figure out how much will be leftover for the trip, and to pay some of the bills that aren't really in the budget. The 3 from the ledger and things like the kids' lunches at school. Tabs are due on the old van, too, that's only $40 but I can do that by mail, and will get it out this week sometime.

Mom is coming up tomorrow, bringing 2 dressers to put into her room. Steven was at her place today and helped her load them into the back of her truck. I brought a load of things with me yesterday, a couple of boxes and a couple of rubbermaid tubs. She won't be storing near as much here this time as she did last time. I wish she felt like she could keep more, I hate the thought of her giving up EVERYTHING... When she gets her own place again, she will need some of this stuff . Besides, I don't think it's fair that she should have to part with everything. I understand that she can use the money from the selling of the stuff more than she can use the stuff, so I try to keep my mouth shut about it. She is an adult, and I know she has given this alot of thought. My heart just breaks for her though. I know that she is doing the right thing, I just wish she didn't have to.

Time to get the kids going on their school night duties. They have to clean up their rooms, get their clothes laid out for tomorrow, make sure their backpacks are empty of any papers etc that don't need to go back to school. Then they brush teeth and hair, and shower if it's their turn. We start this at 8 so that by 9, everythig is ready and done, and they can go to bed without any problems.

No comments: