Sunday, April 27

On the job

Rather, on the subject of jobs...

I DID apply for the full time position, interviewing will begin next week. I figured that as long as I'll be there all summer full time hours anyway, I might as well get paid full time teller pay. That is, assuming I get the job.

Two days after I put in my resume for that, JP showed me an ad in the classifieds. My husband works for the city we live in, as a power lineman... the city is looking for a person to work in the main office, working with accounting type stuff. The ad gave the minimum starting pay, and it is over 4K MORE than I make now (per year) and that's STARTING...

When he first showed me the ad, I thought, "Yeah, but I can't work for the City, YOU work for the city... " Then I remembered that two of the guys in JP's department are brothers... in the same department... if I went for and got this job, I would almost never see JP, the boys don't come down to the city office very often... and if they let Dan and Steve work together, it shouldn't be a problem for JP and I to both be employed by them, I doubt I'd be able to work in the payroll area, but this job is NOT that.
Can you imagine that? Being in charge of the payroll checks, and issuing a check to the hubby for... just a bit more.... That's an area where I can see a definite reason for not hiring family members.

So tomorrow I am going to print out a resume, and run over to the city office and apply for that. Much as I have always wanted to work at a bank, I realize now that I was really going in to it blind, and now that I've been there and know what it's like, I realize that I would go elsewhere for 1. more money or 2. same money, less 'nice'.

In this instance, 'nice' is defined as many things: conversations about hydrangeas, pants that need ironing, things that could be considered 'risque' being taboo and backstabbing catty women.

Besides, I think working in the City Office, I could wear jeans. Probably still have to stick with nice shirts, but that's never a problem, it's just the damn dress pants.

I will keep the blogosphere posted on this, I know the anticipation must be just killing you!
I hate having things up in the air, and my life is STILL up in the air, and it's starting to get annoying!
Just settle down dammit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to work at a different hospital and I'm being patient but there are just no jobs out there. I say that sounds like a great opportunity for you. More money plus I'd think JP could put in a good word for you!!