Thursday, April 17

Liquids by the gallon

Gas is not the only liquid gold out there, ladies and gentlemen!

Milk. Bovine lactation fluid. Moo- Juice.

Whatever you call it, I need it often in this house and I have been struggling to find it at a price that does not require a home equity line of credit!

I found it last night at a most unexpected place. First off, I will not buy milk at my local grocery store, it's not a chain store, it a locally owned place. It's big and they have a pretty good selection of stuff. But they ARE the only grocery store in town. Then there's Walmart, a supercenter with groceries and everything. I will not buy milk at the grocery store because they charge over $4 a gallon for it! I had been going to Walmart, where it's "only" $3.72 per gallon.

Last night JP and went out to Menard's for a little scouting expedition. FYI, Menard's is a Home Depot/Lowe's kind of place, we have them up north, but I don't think they exist in the southern parts of the US. It is a gigantic warehouse of home improvement... and it is a wonderful place to dream and "what if"

So JP and I were "what if"ing with our kitchen and our fence and our bathrooms... and we found milk.
For $3.46 a gallon!!
They have a small section of grocery items, Hamburger Helper, Pringles, jars of spaghetti sauce, and a small refrigerator section full of milk! I was so happy that I bought 2 gallons of white, and a half gallon of chocolate to celebrate.

We also got a new doorbell dinger and a new light fixture for the hallway and new beige (the old ones are dark brown) light switches and plug-ins for the hall way... so it will all be nice with the new paint job. So JP has plenty of projects to keep him busy this weekend! We also got an estimate on doing the fence around the backyard. With the new white (no maintenance) PVC fencing, it's going to run us roughly $3000. We are getting about 2/3 of that from that rebate check that's supposed to arrive this summer. So I think we are going to do that.

Time to shower for school, another start to another busy day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been in Menards before when traveling in your neck of the woods, well South Dakota I think.

That's a great price for milk. We don't use much so I buy the 1/2 gallon for $1.88 I think.

Good job on the fence & hallway fixtures!!