Wednesday, March 12

Big Project

Well, not BIG, but big enough.
During my spring break, I have decided to paint my hallway. I will post 'before' pictures, and you'll see why it MUST be done.
The people we bought this house from are the people who built the house. The entire upstairs is covered with dark wood paneling. Now, JP and I hate this, and as money has allowed, we have been working on it, our bedroom was remodeled after he got home from Bosnia, and it is beautiful.
They didn't drywall AT ALL, behind the dark wood paneling is 3/4 inch plywood... so even though I know we will be eventually ripping it out, and putting up drywall, I am going to paint the hallway. It's too dark, especially when the doors are shut. Down this relatively short hall are six doors. One closet, one linen closet, a bathroom, and the 3 upstairs bedrooms: Eric's, Emma's and ours. At the end of the hall is a full length mirror (put there by the previous owners) and in front of it, a bookcase (put there by me, because in the middle of the night it's a little freaky to see someone standing at the end of the hall, only to realize that it's just your own reflection!)

Now, for the sneaky part. JP will probably poo-poo this idea, saying "it's a waste" and all that other junk. But the way I see it, it won't cost a ton, because it's a small space. We are talking a gallon of primer and a gallon of paint. So I am going to have to get this "beyond the point of going back" within the 8 hours that he's at work. So my plan is this: One day I will do all the prep work, wipe down the walls, clean the cobwebs out of the corners and vacuum the carpet really well. I will buy the paint and rollers etc, and have everything from tape to drop cloths hidden in the linen closet. The next day, as soon as he pulls out of the driveway, I have to jump in to action! As long as I have the primer on full coverage before he gets home, it will be beyond going back and he can't stop me! But I am thinking that I may be able to get it done completely in one day, depending on the required drying time for the primer. I'm going to use a nice cream color, something rather neutral and light. I'm thinking I will do the prep on Monday and the painting on Tuesday. I will snap a picture of the hallway today when I'm home between school and work, and post it when he's not around. Otherwise, if he sees me blogging a picture of our dull dark hallway, he will know something is up!
So SSSHHHH! Don't tell him!
Who are we kidding, he's a man, I wonder if he'll even notice it AT ALL!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh that is going to make a huge difference! Have fun!

I want to paint, well, pretty much the whole house, but it's the thought of prep work that's killing me. If I think of it just one room at a time, which is how it will be painted anyway, it doesn't seem so bad. Must get that through my thick skull!

Anonymous said...

WOW You really have a project!! I feel for you painting around those 6 doors but it will SO be worth it!! If you use KILZ primer, it dries in 30 min. By the time you get finished priming, it should be ready for paint. Can't wait to see the pics!!

I bet he notices for sure!!