Saturday, September 27

another paycheck and a look of disapproval

I just got a phone call.
I was offered a job. It's part time, working the pull tabs at the bar my mom manages. It's only weekends, so it won't interfere with my bank job.
It doesn't pay a ton, and with just the few hours per week, it won't be much, but every little bit helps.

I have felt for some time that I (or someone around here) needed to create some extra income, but it's hard to find one that fits around my current schedule.
The job itself is pretty easy, selling pull tabs to drunks, and giving them cash when they get a winner. The bar I'm doing this in, Mom's bar, is nice, it's small, and the people are nice, and it's not a super busy, bodies-packed-in-like-sardines, loud obnoxious drunks kind of bar. It's a nice place for locals to go and have a few drinks.

Best thing about it could be this: When I'm not busy selling/redeeming pull tabs, I have "free time" so maybe I can take a book and actually do some recreational reading. The last book I read was titled "Intermediate Accounting II"... NOT for recreation! I just haven't had time to do any reading for fun.

Anyway, I start "training" on the 8th, 9th & 10th, which are weekdays, so I will go over after I get off work those 3 nights. I am on the schedule by myself on the 11th, and will work both Saturday and Sunday of every other weekend. The shifts are between 4 and 6 hours each, and that will often depend on how busy I am. If drunks aren't buying, I can close up early, but if I'm selling alot, I'd stay open longer...

It won't be HUGE paychecks, I won't be scheduled for a ton of hours. Unless I can pick up a few more shifts, but I'll wait and see how tired this makes me, I guess.

I'm happy, but at the same time, I'm unhappy that I NEED to do this.

And here's the "look of disapproval" part: When I got off the phone, I told JP about it. I had mentioned it to him a month ago, when I was considering it. He didn't look happy. I asked him about it, and he just shrugged. Piss me off, buddy. SPEAK! If you don't like something SPEAK UP! He could have said something a month ago, and I would not have pursued this any further.
Too late now, I'm doing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ex was like that--would never SPEAK and then when I was involved in something I would find out how he REALLY felt. Ugh...I guess that's just some men for ya.

Even if it's an extra $100 a month that will help out, the way I see it.

EJL said...

I needed some extra cash too...so I decided to dismiss our cleaning lady in the office and bill my company the same price to do it myself.