Tuesday, November 11

Looking forward to 42

I came to an interesting conclusion about my life the other day.

My 20's were all about my family. I was pregnant 4 times in 4 years, I have 3 beautiful, smart(mouthed), fun kids to show for it. All 3 of those kids have the same father, and, shockingly, in this day and age, he is STILL the man I'm married to. Yes, we got married young, I wasn't quite 21 on our wedding day, and JP celebrated his 21st just 6 days before we said "I do"... It was a tough decade, but we made it through... together.

My 30's, I hate to say it, were (are) sort of "all about me" to quote that damn Happy Bunny. I got braces so I could feel better about smiling. I got an education so I could feel better about my career. I am working on my body, (I'M DOWN TO 147!!!) so that I have something to smile ABOUT! It's been hard for this decade to be about me, with JP being deployed for quite a chunk of it, but I guess I could look at it as a time for me to find out how strong I am, what I am capable of, and how much my children need me.

And now, for the one I'm really looking forward to: my 40's... yes, I am looking forward to the 40's... or rather, 42 to be exact. When JP and I are 42, our 'baby' Eric will be 18. Now I know that there won't be a magic day, such as the day after his high school graduation, when suddenly, WE ARE FREE, I realize that that won't be the end of it... I believe Stephen King said it best in the title of one of his short stories "Sometimes they come back"

But... at 42, still young, it will be the decade of US. JP and I have a great marriage. We don't have those silly 'silent treatment' fights that last for days... we KNOW what pisses off the other one, and we try very hard not to do that to each other... because it's just not nice, you know?
OK, maybe I'm sugar coating it a bit, maybe (just maybe) the reality is that JP is such a wonderful tolerant man, and MAYBE, just maybe he wears the pants in the family because (and AFTER) I pick them out for him... but it works for us. I am so looking forward to having our home to ourselves. No kids making messes and not cleaning up after themselves. Just he and I enjoying some peace and quiet.

That's what makes 40 sound so great to me... the sound of silence.

Ok, enough philosophical crap... did you catch that in the middle of my babble? 147 BABY!!
Nice...

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I caught it ... nice work, babe!

And I think that's a wonderful reason to look forward to your 40s (42 in particular). No reason not to enjoy the here-and-now, but hell yes, imagine how good it will be!

Anonymous said...

1) Skinny bitch!

2) I love ya for being that same skinny bitch!

3) You are not going to have ANY idea what to do with that empty house....lol!

4) Who are you going to yell at?!?

5) Who are you kidding with thinking that your kids are all going to just up and leave?

6) Okay, I know you and that is just how it's going to fall....lucky skinny bitch!!

7) I just have to remind you that when you are 42, I will only be 34:)

8) You are my best friend so when the day does come when all of your kids are out of the house you know I'll be the one throwing the party-gal parties for ya! Love ya hon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you losing weight. I wish it would motivate me. lol

It's good to look forward to your 40s. I'm going to be 3-0 on Tuesday and I can't get that excited about what the next decade holds for me. Maybe I should set some goals. How about #1 to KEEP the house KID-FREE!! lol