Wednesday, July 30

What a tool!

I overheard a couple of the ladies I work with today talking about the tools they own. I rolled my eyes and of course, they noticed.

When pressed for a reason for the eye rolling, of course, I had to open my mouth.
J. was talking about her wonderful tool set, it comes in a cute little PINK tool box, the handles of the hammer and wrench are pink, and it's just cute.

So then S. pipes up that she's got a great one, too, the hammer is about half sized, and just adorable...

WTF? Really?

Pink tools?
It' s like ALLOWING men to pat you on the head and say "it's OK little lady, here's a set of tools that maybe you can handle" Like we aren't capable of using "real" tools...

When I explained this to J. and S., their big comeback was stunning.
J.-"Well, they're not really "pink", more of a mauve... "
S.-"Kind of a dusty rose color?"
J.-"Yeah, that's it, exactly, they're really pretty"

Silly little women just proved my point.

7 comments:

honkeie said...

My mom had one of those pink tool sets and I bent the hammer while trying to take out a nail from a board! If it looks like crap and smells like crap the odd are it isnt chocolate.

Steven Tyler's PJs said...

Dude, calm yourself! Else those ladies will be discussing other meanings for "tool" before too long. Take comfort in the fact that you are a REAL woman - one who can wield a full-sized hammer. BTW, totally agree with you on how condescending those things are. But did you know that they are designed by women? We're keeping ourselves down.

EJL said...

I always wanted one of those sets just to say "they are mine and hubby can't use em"

Anonymous said...

LOL Mauve tools??? I didn't even know they MADE pink tools!!! Pussys.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Mine are full-sized, black-handled and somewhat rusted. Your co-workers wouldn't like me, I suspect.

Nikky said...

Melissa, I don't think they like ME most of the time! LOL

Sometimes I say or do things just because I KNOW it will go against everything that they percieve as "acceptable"

prissies.