Monday, November 13

NaNoWriMo

That's National Novel Writing Month.
I read a blog belonging to a person living in Oregon. He tells great stories, really has a way with words. More often than not, Scott from Oregon just amuses me. There have been several days that I just needed a smile, a little giggle, or even a big tummy-aching guffaw. Scott does that.

So closer to the beginning of November, he mentions in his blog that he's doing this NaNoWriMo. I have no clue, but he's writing a story, so I'm reading it. It's not his usual tales of woohooohoo, stuff that happens to him. It's a work of fiction. Pretty damn good, too.

So I ask him, "What is this NaNoWriMo thingy?"

He sends me to their website. Turns out that it's a thingy alright! Not a contest, because there is no grand prize. Not really a competition either. Just a place to encourage people who have always thought of writing a novel to get off their collective duffs and do it. The goal is to write 50,000 words in the month of November.

I have pondered and wondered and considered away damn near half the month. Maybe deep down, I just know I work better under pressure. Maybe procrastination is just the way I do things.

So I signed myself up Sunday evening, and got started. Anyone remember (anyone who knows me) that "thing" I was writing 16 years ago, when I was a senior in high school? I've always wondered why I've always kept a hard copy of it in my trunk. Now I know why.
I pulled it out, and pulled up a Word doc, and started typing. I found myself editing and adding and revising as I typed. This old thing is 67 pages long... a mix of typed and handwritten. I am only 12 pages into the retype/revision/rewrite, and I have 21 pages on the new doc done.

The way NaNoWriMo works is that you upload your doc to their site, they do a word count then discard (so no worries about copyright infringement) and they post your progress. I worked on it a total of 4 hours, that's 3 last night and again for an hour this morning.

This afternoon I did my first upload. I am at 5,326 words. I'm not very optimistic that I'll actually make the 50,000 by midnight on November 30th, but at the very least, I will have awakened that in me which has been dormant for too long. Who knows what will happen, but at least I will have a nicer copy of it when it's all said and done.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." -- George Eliot

16 comments:

Nikky said...

Update: 11pm, Nov. 13th. 7100 words.

Nikky said...

Update: noon, Nov. 14th, 10,100 words.

Scott from Oregon said...

Way to go Nikky! If your husband isn't proud, I'll have a word with him. (He's not big and mean, is he?)

I am glad you are dusting off the cobwebs.

When do I get to see it?

Nikky said...

Thanks Scott.
He's pretty big, but he's a teddy bear (to me anyway!)

As far as you seeing it... wow, I don't know about that, I haven't even let my mother read it.
If you go to NaNoWriMo, you can look me up tho, I signed up under the name "Nicole91872"... and I'm about to head over there to upload for the night...

the number according to my counter is 12,025 as of 8 pm here in Minnesota.

Nikky said...

I'm calling it an early night, hit my goal of 16K, actually I surpassed it by just a little.

16,450 as of 10 pm Wed night.

Ive been up too late for too many nights.

But I must say, it feels really good to be doing this!!

Nikky said...

Thursday night at 1am, ok, so actually it was Friday morning, but anyway, I hit 20K!!!
Very exciting... My goal is to be over 25,000 by the time I go to bed Sunday night.

Nikky said...

Slowed down a bit, but I am hoping that it will be a productive weekend.
22,810 words
Saturday morning

Scott from Oregon said...

I hit 28, 500 or so just a minute ago. Today's total to be on pace is 30,200. Are ya gonna get caught up?

Nikky said...

Well, it's 4:30 Sunday, and my weekend has not been productive so far... I went out with friends last night and I feel icky today.
I'm gonna give it a shot tho, I will update with a number either later tonight, or tomorrow morning. I have officially been at this for ONE WEEK...

Nikky said...

25,642 is where I ended up last night. I went to bed early, so I'm ready to go this morning!! No class til11, so maybe I can do some catching up now!!

Nikky said...

28,154 by my counter... theirs is about 4 words behind me....like it matters, right?
Only 10 days to go tho... better be a good productive 4 day weekend!!

Nikky said...

32,186 as of midnight, tuesday november 21st...

8 days, 17,814 words to go...

If I can average 2227 words per day from now on, I will be fine...

ugh...Im gonna be so pissed if I get that close and don't make it...

Nikky said...

35,650, Thursday night... shit, I'm slowing down, I may actually end up going in reverse if I don't figure this out!

Oh well, at least I've got my main character into a state mental hospital now... that should help

(yeah, I don't know, maybe I belong in a state mental hospital!)

Nikky said...

midafternoon friday, I just hit 37K

I don't think Im going to feel better about hitting the mark til I get into the 40's...

But the day is young, and I slept in today, so I could easily pull an almost-all-nighter...

Ya just never know.

Nikky said...

I FEEL BETTER!!Kicked it down and did almost 5 thousand today!!

I crossed 40K here shortly before midnight, and that's it, I'm off to bed... tomorrow is another day.
and I have only 9920 words to go baby!!

woohooo!!!!

Nikky said...

42,150... and I'm calling it a night.
All write and no play makes Nik PSYCHO!!

So I am going out with school friends tonight. My "plan" is to be crossing the finish line by Tuesday... we shall see.