Friday, March 6

Naughty under the knife

I took Naughty to the vet yesterday, JP will pick her up when he's done with work tonight. She's getting spayed and declawed. Tiny looks lost around here without her little friend. It's sweet.

I am getting sick of bills. I did the math, monthly we pay out $1000 to what I call "disposable" bills. credit cards, truck payment, student loans. So I came up with a plan to start eliminating them. Snowballing a la Dave Ramsey with twists that fit our situation. I spend $70 each paycheck (every 2 weeks) for cigarettes. Well, I used to. Tomorrow is the day I would buy 2 cartons... to get me through the next 2 weeks. I'm not buying it. I put the money towards a debt instead. I still have 6 packs of smokes, and I am going to stretch them as far as I can, then when it's gone, I'm done.

I round up on all the bills... that's dumb. Yes, they're all getting extra, but none of them are going away. So I stopped that. I still budget the overpaid amount, but I send all that extra to ONE bill now. And when it's gone ( and it won't take long, at this rate) I will add that payment to the minimum that's been going to the next one on the list, and overpay it til it's gone... and so on and so on.

There's a few other plans, too, and I'm asking my hubs to give me 6 months of this, 6 months of being tight and really being aggressive on paying down our debt. On September 1st, I will show him the balances, in comparison to what they're at now. If he likes it, if he's happy, then I will continue to snowball until it's done. If he sees it as a waste, and too hard on the fam financially, then we can go back to same old same old. But that won't happen. He will be happy, and I will continue until it's done.

I'm just tired of having all this money leave us every month for shit that I either don't remember buying, or if I DO remember it, I don't have it anymore... credit sucks. If you can't afford it NOW, with what you have, then you don't need it now... save up and get it when you DO have the money in your hands.

I'm happy so far with our savings account, it's the first time we've been faithful about adding money to a savings account WITHOUT taking it back out. The balance in there is just over 2K... and it will stay there. I've considered using it to pay off a bill, but if I do that, Murphy's Law will kick my ass, and something will come up, vehicle needs repairs... SOMETHING, and without a savings, I would have to put the Murphy's Law problem on credit. So the savings account stays put.

I have to get in the shower, and get to work, so y'all have a good day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've recently gone to the "DEBIT ONLY" approach. I am SO happy with myself. I am also glad to see my Discovercard balance go DOWN. The first number in the 4 digit payoff just went down by 1 number. LOVE IT!

Scott from Oregon said...

I ran up a credit debt running around rock climbing years and years ago. I've never had a credit card since. I keep a grand stashed nearby for "emergencies", and pay as I go.

Who wants to make some lazy fuck wealthy paying him or her interest?

Melissa said...

Great approach. We're getting serious about finances too, and I can't wait to see the credit card bills go down to nothing. Overall it's not a terrible amount, but in monthly payments it sure adds up. I'm doing what you are, paying off the smallest in big chunks, then applying the extra money to the next smallest - they all have similar interest rates, so that factor is removed. And then? The extra money goes to savings and if we need something, we can pay cash.