Thursday, March 26

Activated

I'm sure many people across the country have heard about the flooding in the Fargo Moorhead area. The incredible story is really the volunteers though. We live 45 miles away and have been busing people... adults after working a full day, students getting out of class (college AND high school students) to go over there and help fill sand bags, to form lines to haul those sandbags from trucks to the levees. Building walls of sandbags to try to protect the cities from the Red River. People are coming from all over the area, because that's what we do here. We help each other.

Last night my husband got a call. The Minnesota National Guard was called out to help. He left this morning at 5:30 am. I don't know when he will be back. I don't know anything. I'm sure he's busy and when he has time he will call to let me know something. Until then, I can comfort myself with the fact that at the very least, I don't have to worry about him being shot, like I did the last time the National Guard took him from me.

He's doing a wonderful thing, and I am very proud of him. I also worry about him. I'm sure he's exhausted, I'm sure he's cold and I'm sure he's wet and filthy. And I'm sure he's worried about our situation here. We had our own little levee break, although an ant hill in comparison to the Mount Everest they're fighting over there. JP was in the process of getting the two bedrooms we lost ready to be sumped, pumped and drain tiled. That will have to wait until he gets back.

I have this weekend off. Entirely. No bank, no pull tabs. We were going to have a fun family weekend. Maybe another time. We can wait. The people of Fargo/Moorhead cannot.

1 comment:

Scott from Oregon said...

Snorkels!

Floods suck.

The russian river took out the first floor of Mum's house back in the 80's...

I had to pull her picnic table out of an oak tree.