Friday, December 5

what is YOUR calling?

well, hell, it's MY blog, so what's MY calling?
I am NOT talking about religious callings, either... anyone who knows me even a little bit knows that much.

One of my favorite quotes is "It's never too late to be what you might have been"

I think I'm even more confused now than I was before I went to college. I am not fully happy in my job. I am currently looking for something else. I actually feel like a failure because I am not happy. I THOUGHT that working in a bank was THE job, the end all, be all of things for me to do. I have in the past 2 months or come to realize what it was in my education that I really liked, what it was that I really want to do.

Bank work IS within the realm of finance, but honestly, I am using virtually NONE of the things I learned. To me, that feels like I wasted my time in college. I DO NOT want that.

I thought working in a bank was the thing for me, and now I know that it is not. I want to do financial statements, accounts payable, accounts receivable, things like that. Being a teller is NOT using an accounting degree.

I worry that JP thinks I'm a flake. He has worked at his current job for 10 years, in the same field since he graduated from college over 17 years ago. Quitting is not an option for that man. I worry that he expects that sort of behavior of me. Not that I want to be a flake, jumping from job to job... it just seems that it's taking me longer to find my calling than it did for him to find his.

So I'm still looking, or rather, LISTENING for my calling.
And we all know how Nik feels about things being 'up in the air'!!

grrrrr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya. Being 30 years old and starting a new job that has very little to do with radiology has been VERY hard for me, too. I mean I spent $20K and got a divorce so that I could take x-rays. Now I'm selling shit to back surgeons!! I know you'll find your niche. I'm no expert on careers and I'm not sure how much industry is there but I would think there are PLENTY of companies than need a good AP/AR girl. Keep your chin up...some of us may never figure out what the hell we're supposed to be doing.