Friday, August 25

Window shopping etc

I have come to the conclusion that I cannot window shop. I am not capable of going into a store to 'price' things. I can shop around, get a good deal, but I cannot NOT buy it right then and there once I have found said good deal.
Case in point: Went "window shopping" for furniture the other day. I'd like to get a nice dining room set, instead of the mix & match crap I've got going on now. Plus it would be nice to have seating for more than just our 5. I was also looking into something for the family room. The loveseat and 2 chairs just isn't cutting it, not enough seating.
I took my friend Char with me, and for the first 3 furniture stores, I was doing really well, getting quotes, not quite finding what was perfect, NOT buying anything. Then we went to the furniture store that Char's boyfriend Jerry works at. I talked to Gary, the guy who's name is on the building, and he was really helpful, and it was even more helpful that he and Char joked and bullshitted like old friends.
I ended up making a fantasy shopping list, he wrote down everything that I saw that would work great. I asked him to total it up for me, so I could gasp and leave, thanking him for his time.
What was on the list? Well, let me tell you!!

1 sofa, mocha color, microfiber suede soft, recliners on each end
1 loveseat, mocha, microfiber, recliner on one end
1 big ass just for JP recliner, stone color ( off white)
2 end tables, wood with slate slab blocks in the center
1 coffee table, wood, state slabs
1 dining room table, with 2 leaves, big enough for 8 to sit comfy
2 captains chairs, for each end of table
4 side chairs

I could not gasp and leave. It was just too good to be true: I got all this, delivered for a mere $3400. I was flipping out. I made the deal though, I don't want the furniture delivered until it's paid for. That way, it stays nice longer... Less exposure to the kids before JP gets to see it. I made a downpayment, and figured a plan to have it paid in full in about 2 months.
I have never had New New furniture, except my bed, which I ordered online and had to assemble myself. I got 2 full rooms FULL of furniture!! I'm pretty excited. I am also pleased with the price. The one place we went to before we went to Gary's wanted $2700 for JUST a sectional sofa.

I feel kind of bad though, because earlier in the same day I had told JP that he could have $500 for an investment that he wanted to do, and now he can't have it just yet. I will be able to give him the money he wanted, but not right away. But I think once he sinks his bum into that recliner that is JUST FOR HIM, he will forgive me. I'm thinking of asking the moving guys if they can wrap the recliner in plastic, and leave it on there. That way, the kids (and I) cannot ruin JP's maiden voyage into plush ecstasy. Wrap it in plastic and get some yellow Police Line, Do Not Cross tape to put around it.

A few days before the new stuff is delivered, I will get the old stuff out, and do a major cleaning. I'm thinking of getting the downstairs carpet professionally cleaned, it's certainly seen better days, and I hate the thought of putting that nice new furniture on top of such fugly ratty carpet. So I will get it cleaned, may not take out all the child induced stains, but hopefully it will bring it back a little bit.

Another mission accomplished. Unintentional, of course, but hey, at least it's done.

No comments: