Sunday, April 2

settling in

My mouth is getting better. My cheeks are getting used to the brackets, not quite as sore the last couple of days as they were right after the 'installation'. I am getting better at chewing, too. I even had the All-you-can-eat fried shrimp at Bonanza in St. Cloud Friday night.

Mom, Alex and I got so much done this weekend at her place. The house is almost completely void of all things mom is keeping. Just a few last minute things I will grab next weekend when I go down for the auction. The majority of the cleaning is done, too. I have to spend the night Friday in the empty house to be there Saturday morning for the carpet cleaner to come in. Mom left me a pile of blankets and comforters so I can camp out somewhere.

JP called tonight just as we were finishing dinner. He told me that he is going to re-enlist while he's over there. I knew he was going to, when he gets back from this deployment he will have 18 years in, and we were planning on him finishing out the 20. If he re-enlists while he's over there, not only is he eligible for the bonus, but also, since he is in a foreign country, a freaking war zone, all income is tax free. That means that any signing bonus will come straight here, do not pass Uncle Sam, they do not get to collect $200 (or however much they think they should get to take of it!) I guess if he's gotta do it, at least they can do is give him the damn money to make it worth his while. I just don't know how recruiters can get anyone to sign up for the Guards these days. The pay sucks, and gee, chances are pretty good that you will have to leave your loved ones for a good year, year and a half, and go into a war. I bet those guys down at the armory are just beatin' em off with a stick. War is just not good advertising for joining the Guard. If I cared at all, I'd almost feel bad for those guys just trying to do their jobs. But I don't care. I hope their job is hard, I hope they can't get a single person signed up. If I thought I could get away with it, I'd picket the armory. Have a big sign saying "Sign your life away LITERALLY... Apply within". Then again, would those silly little 18 yr old boys get my sarcasm?

Tomorrow I am going to see about my jaw surgery. I want mom to go with me. The appointment is in Fargo at 2:30 though. The kids would most likely get home before we would. I hope I can convince her that they can go to the community center and swim for awhile after they get home from school. I'd rather not go alone. I'd like her input on the whole thing.

Time to go to bed. Even tho I don't have to work tomorrow, I still have to get up early to get the kids going.

No comments: