Wednesday, April 26

Moving on

I found out that the summer session starts on May 16th, that's a lot sooner than I thought. I also got a list of classes offered in the summer. None of them are in the Accounting field, but I can get some generals out of the way, ease into it. I am thinking I will be taking 3 classes, one is Fundamentals of Math, one is Computer Basics and the other is College Writing. The 3 of them are worth 10 credits, and I wouldn't be taking more than 2 at a time. The first one to start ends the same day the 3rd begins. I would be busy from May 16th through August 11th though. That alone should make the summer go by quickly.

I filled out my F.A.F.S.A. online tonight, it is the single form to fill out for any and (almost) all financial aid. It was an online application, and it says I should be hearing from them within 2-3 days. I also printed out an application for a grant given to 3,000 military spouses and children each year. These grants run from $1,000 to $5,000. The amount given is based on the student's financial need. The sucky thing is that looking at our 2005 taxes, they're going to think I don't need a dime. I may need to take out a loan for the first year, but this time next year, when they see my tax forms for the year 2006, and see that I was trying to raise 3 kids on this income, I will probably have no trouble getting funding. None of the money JP makes in Iraq is taxable. So according to the IRS, we will be living on my short lived income from McDonald's, which was barely $4,000.

I also had a bright idea tonight. The lady who did our taxes this year is just starting her business. I'm guessing that's the main reason she offered her services free to all deployed military families. I'm wondering if next tax season, she may need an assistant. The college encourages work/study programs, I wonder if her tax service would qualify, and of course, if she were willing to take me. If she's not, I bet the college would know of some places where I could do some sort of internship. Good for the experience, also, I believe that it's worth some sort of college credit.

I sent off a package to JP this morning, it was a pretty big one. But the guy actually did what I asked him to, he made me a list! So I was determined to get him everything on the list. Everything from shower shoes to a hand held vacuum, razors to deodorant. Of course, I filled out the rest of the box with a few fun things that made me laugh when I bought them, I just hope he sees the humor. The box weighed just over 16 lbs., and cost almost $24 to send it priority. I won't make a habit of that, but this was a special occasion.

Alex is starting to see some results in his efforts to improve his grades. Mom has been helping him, and she's almost as pleased as he is. Mr. Zamzo hasn't posted his math grades yet, and we're starting to get annoyed about that, but we are trying to be patient. He has already turned 2 D's into 2 B's, and I'm pretty pleased about that.

Tomorrow Mom and I are going out to do some job hunting for her. She needs to drop off an application and pick another one up. She did find out that they offered the job at the Crisis Center to someone who had formal training with children. I guess I can't fault them for that. But I do think it's good for Mom to keep looking in fields other than manufacturing. She needs to keep all options open. I know the right one is out there for her, I just wish it would show up soon, she is going through bouts of self doubt and almost depression. I have no idea how to help her through this. I know she's worried about her future, and I have no way of calming those fears. I feel very helpless when she needs someone very helpful. I try to tell her how much she is helping me and the kids, try to reassure her that she raised 2 good kids who will see her through anything, but she hates that idea. She doesn't feel like she can be dependent on anyone. I don't think that's fair of her to put herself in a category like that. Everyone needs help at one time or another. She needs to admit that she is human, and accept the fact that she raised us to be the kind of people who love and help their family. Whether they like it or not, dammit!

No comments: