Sunday, December 20

I'm a quitter

No, not smoking.
No, not my great new job.

I called today and put in my notice with my little part time job. The every-other-weekend selling pull tabs. It's just not worth it. The paychecks are small, the tips are nonexistent (recession, anyone?) and it seems like I'm always saying "Aww, damn I have to work that weekend".

With holidays and Emma's hockey schedule, the winter isn't too great, and I KNOW the summer won't be any better. With my current "real" job's schedule, having 4 day weekends all the time, it will be a PITA having to work Saturdays and Sundays of half of those.

I guess I will see how hard it is to NOT have those little checks and those few bucks in tips... if it gets to be noticeably annoying to not have that, I can always look for something else.

In fact, one job I know I could probably fit in is stocking shelves at Menard's. They have a special shift working Mon-Fri only, 5 am to 9am. On Tues, Wed and Thurs, I could leave Menards and head to my bookkeeping job, and on Mondays and Fridays, I could go home, nap, if need be, and then get to my errands and other things that I always seem to have on my "day off" lists.

PLUS: working at Menards would give me an employee discount. Oh, those of you not in this region of the US don't know what Menards is... it's along the lines of Home Depot, Lowe's... huge home store. Everything from plumbing and electrical, to drywall and appliances. You could literally build a house from the dirt up at this place.

I don't know yet, I will wait and see how things go. So as of now, Dec 27th is my last day doing pull tabs, and I WILL be going to Emma's hockey tournament in January (it would have been my weekend to work)

Plus, ending it before the end of the year means that I won't have to dick with it on taxes next year at this time.
It's all about simplifying.
Next year's taxes: No pull tabs, no Guards. Just his job and my job. for now anyway.

3 comments:

Flat Coke and Flies said...

Since I never learned what hell pulling tabs is, I'm glad you're quitting!! ha ha

I have shopped at Menards when I visited northern states. Love that store!!

Scott from Oregon said...

It's about time you stopped letting people pull your tabs.

Judy said...

Oh girl. Don't wear yourself out. Can you really get up 'that' early (plus commute time) for a pt job???

But IF you have to do it - do it now while you're younger. Sock it away....